Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Mirena - how would I know if I'm (peri-)menopausal?

(11 Posts)
CoconutPancakes Sat 11-Feb-17 17:29:57

Also posted earlier in General Health (as didn't realise there was a menopause thread until I just it c/o Google)

I had a Mirena coil fitted in 2008 or 2009 for heavy bleeding. After the first year I've not had a period at all. Only very, very occasional spotting, maybe one every couple of years. So, after 8-9 years I'm guessing the hormones must have well and truly run out. I'm now late 40s.

No obvious menopausal symptoms that I've noticed. I easily get too warm in bed at night so need to stick my legs out from under the duvet and manage now with a lighter duvet in winter but no night sweats or flushing.

Could I be peri-menopausal or have even gone through the menopause without noticing? If I go to the GP can they do any blood tests to confirm one way or the other or will they just say stick with it until I'm 52?

PollyPerky Sat 11-Feb-17 17:50:05

what do you mean by 'stick with it'? The Mirena?
It won't be doing any good- lasts 5 years.

NICE says GPs ought not to do blood tests unless women are peri under age 45. Blood tests are unreliable.

You might find your hotness and other symptoms get worse- maybe not. Some women only get meno symptoms once their periods are over. I had no symptoms till almost 53.

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Sat 11-Feb-17 17:57:24

I just had one swapped out at 42 and asked the GP about menopause. She said I'd probably have at least 2 more coils. I'm the same very heavy periods then nothing for over five years - but since swap out I have had light ones again, hoping they stop.

I vaguely recall reading that they actually last closer to 7 years but swap out at 5 is recommended. It was probably a very reliable source like a random mumsnet post.

I don't think I'd want a surprise bundle. My granny had a shock at 49.

insancerre Sat 11-Feb-17 18:43:53

Op, I could have written your post
I've often wondered the same thing

DramaAlpaca Sat 11-Feb-17 19:06:38

I'm also wondering the same OP.

Mine went in when I was 46 because of very heavy periods, and it cured the problem completely, I have mild spotting about once a year and that is all. Guidelines where I live (not UK) say that if you have the Mirena put in after the age of 46 it can stay in for seven years.

The seven years will be up for me in September, & I'll be 53 by then. I have had no menopausal symptoms so far, other than generally feeling warmer than I used to, and like the OP I need a lighter duvet on the bed.

I'm curious as to what will happen when the Mirena comes out in September. My GP says she'll do blood tests and we'll go from there. I'm hoping I'll have sailed through it & that'll be that, but we'll see.

CoconutPancakes Sat 11-Feb-17 21:59:29

Polly I meant the GP will say leave the existing mirena in for a few more years.

Alpaca interesting that you have had the same warmer in bed experience as me. Really bizarre for me as I used to need loads of extra layers in winter & now I sail through with a 4 tog!

I will make an appointment with my GP soon & see what they say.

DramaAlpaca Sat 11-Feb-17 22:03:24

Same here Coconut, I've traded my 13.5 tog for a 4 tog. Weird, isn't it?

PollyPerky Sat 11-Feb-17 22:06:02

if the Mirena has no progestogen left after all this time, it won't be doing anything. I don't know if it acts like a copper coil without hormones and may still help as contraception.

It doesn't help menopausal symptoms in any way so it's a mistake to think once it's out you are through meno! Meno symptoms are due to loss of oestrogen. Using a Mirena alone won't stop meno symptoms.

TroysMammy Sat 11-Feb-17 22:09:45

I am 49 and take Cerelle. I get warm especially in bed but have had nothing of heat rising from my feet to my head and being drenched in sweat. I do get cold flushes though, where I can't warm up at all. My memory, workwise, is still sharp.

3 years ago I took a 6 month break from the pill and my periods were all over the place so my GP allowed me to go back on it. As I don't have periods how will I know if I am peri-menopausal, menopausal, or past it?

PollyPerky Sun 12-Feb-17 08:37:48

You won't Troy unless your symptoms get worse. The pill you take is progestogen only so you may well find that when your oestrogen levels fall further you will get symptoms. A blood test will show if you are post meno- well and truly over it- but during peri if you still have some oestrogen around the blood tests aren't accurate.
I'd not worry about it tbh unless you are wanting to consider birth control other than the pill you are on.

TroysMammy Sun 12-Feb-17 11:34:49

Thanks Polly. I'm just worried that because of my age my GP won't continue to prescribe the pill. It's suited me for years and I don't fancy a coil or getting pregnant. I'll just see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now