Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this it?

(6 Posts)
tooyoungat40 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:41:00

Turned 40 last year. Since last September periods have changed. Normal cycle is between 23 and 26 days. I had one cycle in September that was 17 days. In January I bled for three days, stopped for a week and then bled for another four days. And now, a week later, I have started bleeding again. Is this the menopause?

tooyoungat40 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:25:03

Anyone? If it is the start of the menopause, do I need to do anything? I thought I had years left.

PollyPerky Wed 01-Feb-17 15:18:16

You need to see your GP. Blood tests are needed for women under 40. Have a read of the Daisy Network website- premature /early menopause.

tooyoungat40 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:36:20

Thanks @PollyPerky, I will take a look at that site. I'm just 40 so would this still count as early menopause? I'm not fussed if it is because I'm done child-bearing and would quite happily stop with periods given the choice. I guess there might be all sorts of medical things I'm in ignorance about so will go off and do some reading. Tah.

PollyPerky Thu 02-Feb-17 17:07:40

Premature is under 40, early is under 45 (though some drs are now raising that to 47 for women in the western world.)

There are potentially serious issues with early / prem menopause, such as higher risk of heart disease and osteoporosis due to loss of estrogen.

Have a read!

highclassmamma Fri 10-Feb-17 14:10:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now