Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hot flush in public

(16 Posts)
maturemum1971 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:55:31

Well today I had what was the most embarrasing public hot flush ive ever had. I was out with some friends having a coffee and the hot drink seemed to set me off. I was sweating buckets and fanning myself with the menu and had to order a glass of water. It was unbelivable. This getting older isnt an easy ride ladies. My friends are a little younger and were shocked. Only one of them is experiencing hot flushes but there quite mild.

Has anyone else had a major hot flush like this in public

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 29-Jan-17 20:59:24

All my friends are going through similar ,it's not unusual for one or all of us to be fanning ourselves or sticking our heads out the nearest window to cool down!

maturemum1971 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:40:16

It must be nice to go through it together im hoping my girls arent far behind so we can sweat buckets together

PollyPerky Mon 30-Jan-17 08:28:17

There is no need to suffer like this. HRT will stop it all. Why not consider it?

Nellyphants Mon 30-Jan-17 12:55:58

This is why I went on hrt. The most awful hot flush as I was delivering a presentation that lasted 15 minutes. I was literally drenched in sweat & bright red. Why suffer unnecessarily?

maturemum1971 Mon 30-Jan-17 15:41:31

Im just not sure about HRT.

Nellyphants that must have been embarrassing.

PollyPerky Mon 30-Jan-17 16:18:57

If you're unsure of HRT because of the scary headlines over cancer, you should read a bit more about it. www.menopausematters.co.uk Look at HRT and the risks and benefits info there.

The risks are very tiny and between 50-60 the benefits are greater.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 30-Jan-17 17:38:40

I totally agree- I've been on it since mid 40's and 50 now- had hideous night sweats, aches etc, it's made a big difference for me. Hot flushes aren't always just heat and sweat, my worst one was a feeling that started in my chest and spread to my neck and face- I felt as though I was going to pass out but wasn't like a faint- really horrible! Another recommendation here for the menopause matters site- it's really great.

PollyPerky Mon 30-Jan-17 17:41:20

One word about MM site. The info from Dr Currie is great- there are blogs on the Home page covering HRT and cancer risks .

I'd be wary of reading too much of the forum though because it tends to attract women who are having a really hard time with meno and also their HRT. The posts are not 'typical' of most women using HRT, IME, because they are happy with it and don't join a forum.

Nellyphants Mon 30-Jan-17 17:42:18

It was awful MM, as the others said look at the menopause matters site. It was a great education for me.

maturemum1971 Mon 30-Jan-17 17:58:51

Thanks ladies. I will have a look at MM. This getting old isnt easy. I had one in the car earlier and had to put the window right down. I look like a nutter when its -1 outside but it cooled me down in no time.

Dorje Mon 30-Jan-17 19:08:13

I think there was very bad press about hrt.
The newer style HRTs are fantastic, and have helped turn my life around.

Btw, and sorry to hijack, anyone taking testosterone, or know anything about it? Could you pop over onto my thread on it if you can? TIA

WendyIsMyName Mon 30-Jan-17 19:16:44

Link please dorje

TreacleTreacleLittleStar Mon 30-Jan-17 19:22:39

I get these several times a day. I'm 32 and as far as I'm aware, not quite hitting Menopause yet. But I can TOTALLY relate to the sweating buckets and being the most embarrassed you've ever been? Soaking scalp, sweat dripping into your eyes, dripping down back of your neck and down your back?? Horrific isn't it?

Doc gave me Bromide pills and they do work. If you remember to take them 2 hours before you go out anywhere.

Dorje Mon 30-Jan-17 20:27:53

Again, apologies for the hijack but here's the link to the testosterone thread TIA

maturemum1971 Mon 30-Jan-17 22:29:12

Treacle you seem a bit young for the old change of life. But the tropical moments are just so inconvenient. Do you carry spare clothes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now