Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

memory so bad I think I'm destined to burn the house down before long.

(14 Posts)
megletthesecond Sun 29-Jan-17 16:52:55

I can cope with making lists and forgetting lists.
I can just about cope with struggling at work.
I don't like forgetting names but can muddle through.
I'm not sure I can cope with leaving the oven on regularly. Or turning the wrong ring on and nearly burning a handle or hand sad .

It's bloody weekly now. I think the only thing that keeps us safe is that I habitually turn the oven off at the mains after dinner, dd had a phase of fiddling with it and can't use the wall switch.

42 and need to see my GP again I think.

Badders123 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:25:25

Oh meg!
(It is I becaroo!!)
Are you on hrt? If so, Maybe ask for a higher dose?
Get some bloods done and see if you are
Vit d or b12 deficient?
Sorry - it's shit
I'm peri and on hrt now in an effort to help with all the horrid peri symptoms

megletthesecond Sun 29-Jan-17 21:04:41

Hello smile .
Not on anything. Had a partial hysterectomy 8 years ago so only got non-bleeding symptoms to go on. Previous gp dismissed all the other ones I told her about (including night flushes which I haven't had for a while now).

Is the hrt helping? Have you had to try different ones to get it right?

Badders123 Sun 29-Jan-17 23:20:40

Yes it is.
Switched from patches as the bloody things wouldn't stay on!!
Go on menopause matters website...loads of info x

PlymouthMaid1 Sun 29-Jan-17 23:58:48

Feel your pain. My memory has become very unreliable in the past month like a switch was flicked off. Ditto the switch turned on for hot flushes. It is ridiculous and I am wondering if I will still be able to do my job as a teacher with a crap memory is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Bluejeans66 Tue 31-Jan-17 09:21:19

im the same. My memory is getting so bad that I am fearful for my job. It's really noticeable and I'm terribly self conscious about it. I'm in IT so lots of new jargon and acronyms to remember all the time. I used to be sharp and very much in control and now I am struggling. Stating HRT in the hope that it'll improve.

megletthesecond Wed 15-Mar-17 18:30:46

Gym classes booked and missed this year = 2. (Previous 15yrs = 0).

Blobby10 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:33:54

Have you tried taking Vitamins? I had an awful summer last year with memory problems and anxiety attacks (never had them before) and depressions and put it all down to stress of divorce but had a blood test in October for something else and I was borderline deficient in B12 (I think!). When I googled it, the symptoms were identical to those I had experienced over the summer and after taking a supplement for a couple of months I felt so much better.

PollyPelargonium52 Tue 09-May-17 09:14:25

I have just started taking digestive enzymes to help absorption. I already take D3 and high dose B complex so shouldn't be feeling so low and anxious, forgetful etc. Nervy all the time. Lacking in motivation and everything an effort, and I am already on AD as it is. I have also bought iron with B12 in as a separate extra supplement. Every little helps.

Am loathe to start on HRT as both my parents had major strokes.

PollyPerky Tue 09-May-17 10:26:53

Polly The fact your parents had a stroke is irrelevant. Suggest you read the NICE guidelines on HRT and the part of CVD especially. Your risk of stroke with HRT as patches or gel (transdermal HRT) is not increased.

It saddens me to read about so many women who are misinformed- blame the media headlines for peddling half-truths- and are suffering because they think HRT is 'dangerous ' and aren't using it.

PollyPelargonium52 Wed 10-May-17 07:56:11

What about weight gain? Or is that another rumour?

PollyPelargonium52 Wed 10-May-17 07:57:03

Am seeing the practice nurse Friday may discuss with her.

PollyPerky Wed 10-May-17 16:29:58

You need to ask what sort of recent training the nurse has. Read so many misinformed things here from both nurses and drs. Really bad things that show they are out of date etc. But not all are, of course.

Yes weight gain is a myth. All of us can put on weight in middle age- just look at most men!- which has nothing to do with HRT but everything to do with eating too much as our metabolism slows down.

All the current research shows no connection between HRT and weight. Been on HRT for 8 years and weight is the same.

PollyPelargonium52 Wed 10-May-17 17:32:20

Pleased it's working out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now