Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

What should I expect when I visit the GP

(6 Posts)

I have decided it's time to talk to the GP about HRT.

The hot flushes I can cope with, forgetting peoples' names I can just about bluster through but the crushing wading through treacle tiredness is getting to me. Even if I manage to sleep without waking 5 times a night, I could cheerfully nap at work (not ideal for Waitrose checkout work)

Anyway - I know there are many versions of HRT to discuss and I've been baffled by the Menopause Matters site. I used to be quite bright as well

What will she hopefully suggest? What am I likely to be offered?

PollyPerky Fri 27-Jan-17 21:49:43

You need to be prepared for all eventualities!
You might get a GP who doesn't 'believe' in HRT (like it's a pink unicorn) or who says meno is 'natural' (so is typhoid) and you have to 'push through it'. Or if you are really lucky you might get one who gives you HRT but the wrong sort. (All of these are examples from this forum btw!)

You need to decide what you want to ask for. Why is Meno Matters confusing? Presumably you are peri so need a sequential type of HRT and you might want to ask for patches or oestrogen gel (that has to have a separate progesterone pill for half the month) instead of pills.

You're right, I am peri. And I want to go in armed to the teeth with everything I need.

A friend had to beg for HRT from her GP, she is very cynical that I could be prescribed without weeping dramatically. (She ended up taking her husband with her who insisted she got help, while she wept uncontrollably). Thankfully I have a different, female, GP.

I think Meno matters confuses me because concentrating on anything is difficult. I'll have a look at sequential HRT information

PollyPerky Sat 28-Jan-17 08:31:12

Maybe instead of asking 'what can I expect', think about what you want. Ask for what you want.

Your main choice will be pills or patches.

PollyPerky Sat 28-Jan-17 09:30:16

Sorry- was interrupted.
I wouldn't bet on a female GP being better - not from reading here!

My advice is to go in, explain your symptoms and say you want to try HRT. Unless you have serious medical reasons why it's not safe, then your GP should agree without any arguments. They have to tell you about the small risks (which are small) then allow you to decide.

Might be worth you having a look at the thread I started on Myths about HRT because there are a lot of links there that contain helpful info from other sources.

PollyPerky that's all brilliant advice, thank you.

Wish me luck <deep breath before I knock...>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now