Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Menopause, effect of obesity

(15 Posts)
OrlandaFuriosa Wed 25-Jan-17 01:49:29

Some ten years ago I started going through the perimenopause, unmistakeable. I had put on masses and masses of weight.

So far so good, things rolled on in their merry way, irregular huge flows followed by large gaps and more recently smaller flows.

Last year I thought yay, after 9 years it might finally have worked its way through, yippee, freedom.. I still had the aches but no show.

I've just taken off some weight, not a huge amount, but some. And guess what? Yup. Not the flooding of before but unmistakeable.

Is there a causality or correlation with weight?

I'm so pissed off.

PollyPerky Wed 25-Jan-17 08:14:15

You are more likely to have heavier periods (and be at risk of endometrial cancer unfortunately ) by being overweight. Fat cells produce oestrogen which stimulates the womb lining. This is why women who are post meno and who are overweight are at a much higher risk of uterine cancer as the lining continues to be stimulated, but with no periods happening.

It's probably just sheer coincidence that your periods are heavier at the moment.

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 25-Jan-17 21:24:50

Polly, it's that they have come back! At x weight they disappear, at x - they reappear. Which, from googling, seems counter to the accepted research.

Sigh.

Deinonychus Wed 25-Jan-17 21:31:48

Have you had 12 months of no periods before they restarted op? If so I would have a chat with your gp as they may want to refer you on for a scan to check the womb lining.

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 25-Jan-17 21:35:51

Not quite, which was why I was about to say yippee... ten years of peri menopause is a bit much..

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 25-Jan-17 21:39:18

Are you saying you are bleeding but are post menopausal?

Definitely go to the GP.

Deinonychus Wed 25-Jan-17 21:42:05

It may be that you weren't perimenopausal but had another reason for your periods stopping and feeling crap, such as pcos. Then when you have lost the weight again your ovaries are working a bit better and ovulating again. Either way, losing weight will help reduce your risk of womb cancer (along with all the other benefits).

OrlandaFuriosa Wed 25-Jan-17 21:50:20

Not post menopausal, but system seems to be triggered by weight loss, just when I think I'm free of the whole shooting match. I'm at the outer age range as it is.

thanks for your advice, I'll just koko. How I hate the female reproductive system.

When I'm reincarnated I want to be either one of those sorts of sea horses where the male carries the babies or a giant turtle, lay eggs in nice warm sand, F off and head into nice warm water.

Sigh

PollyPerky Thu 26-Jan-17 08:21:17

How old are you now?

It's possible for peri to last 9 years. 'spose that would be something like 42-52, but it's quite unusual for periods to be skewed for 10 years . Have you ever had any investigations into why this has gone on for 9 years?

I agree with a PP that it's possible your lack of periods and weight gain was not 'just' peri.

I really think you ought to see your dr and ask for a pelvic scan to see what's going on. That would show the state of your ovaries and uterine lining. I'm not for a minute saying this is you, but there are women who think they are having 'periods' right into their late 50s when sadly they have uterine cancer and attribute the bleeding to periods.

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 26-Jan-17 09:09:36

Had a pelvic scan recently for excruciating pain, but nothing found so not worried about that. Constantly exhausted on an ME type basis but low in vit D ( who isn't) so seeing if vit D will do the job.

PollyPerky Thu 26-Jan-17 09:29:11

Periods at 57 is VERY unusual. Not unheard of but very rare.

I think I'd be pressing for a referral to a gynae. Did they say what they could see in your ovaries- ie are there follicles there still?

Was it a transvaginal scan because they give better images than the 'over the tummy' ones.

Your tiredness could be anaemia- blood tests?

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 26-Jan-17 13:38:44

Polly, you are brilliant. This is so helpful, you can't imagine. Blessings on you and MN.

Yup, transvaginal one. Had also had over the tummy ones, having had constant low level period type pain alongside the "oh god a cyst must have burst" type ones where you are doubled up in the works loo and trying not to scream. Nothing visible save gas...but I didn't think to ask about follicles. I do know my DM went on having hot flushes till her 80s, I haven't had one for ages. ( several years). Never been diagnosed with pcos because never asked, was told just to not to talk about such things, but quite possible I had it from physical symptoms and appearance ( fat, hairy, irregular, heavy, long periods ( usually a fortnight) and constant pelvic pain, difficulty getting pregnant).

Asked for blood tests to check iron and vit D re exhaustion, hence vit D diagnosis. Taking pills, next test in 6 weeks time. Get chills and mild fever whenever I do too much.

Expect it can wait 6 weeks but will be seeing nice doctor before then anyway so might mention. He did ask where I was and I said peri as was in mid glow, first as I say for several months.

Perhaps reincarnation as a tree. Preferably a listed one.

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 26-Jan-17 13:39:40

Glow? Flow.

PollyPerky Thu 26-Jan-17 14:42:31

Oh my goodness! All those symptoms of weight gain and hairiness scream PCOS! Have they investigated you for that AND endometriosis? ASK!!!

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 26-Jan-17 21:02:04

I know...

It was never picked up in my generation, you were just expected to get on with it. But seriously, they saw no cysts when they last looked at me. And as I wasn't doubled up at that point I saw no reason to query further.

You make me feel a lot better! Thank you so much. I'll head back yet again to doctor, I think our nice one ( my wonderful one has just left, sob).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now