Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Embarrassed about going to GP

(6 Posts)
ReluctantlyRedundant101 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:18:44

I'm 45 next month & I feel I've been having mild perimenopausal symptoms for the past year or so (just sweats and things) I have had the implant in for 2 and a half years since just after I had my first baby and have had one or maybe 2 periods in that time so can't tell if they've stopped or not.
That was the last time I was at the doctors but I feel like some of the symptoms (like the rage & the tiredness) are getting worse so I think I should go and see a doctor but I feel embarrassed to say I'm tired & grumpy! Is it worth going & will they be able to do anything for me?

PollyPerky Sun 08-Jan-17 08:29:51

Could the implant be masking the issue? It's progestogen, so if your oestrogen levels are falling and you are getting lots of progestogen through the implant, this could cause the tiredness etc.

Could you have it removed? Or does it only have a shelf life of 2 years anyway?

It's only worth going to your GP if you want something prescribed- HRT- but if you have only mild symptoms now, I'd be trying lifestyle things like exercise (daily for 30 minutes at least) , eating really healthily and seeing if these help first. Lifestyle has a real impact on meno symptoms so although HRT can help, you've got to have the foundations of a healthy lifestyle there as well.

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:59:02

Thanks pollyperky I think you're right about the implant it is due to come out in June anyway & it makes sense that my hormone levels would have changed in the last 2 years. I am a (fairly) regular gym goer anyway as I think it's good for my mental health amongst other things

drspouse Tue 24-Jan-17 13:02:17

Can I hijack this thread as I'm a bit unsure but have a similar issue.
Late 40s (very late 40s) and I'm on my 2nd implant - it will be expiring in April I think (they last 3 years). My DM had a late menopause (over 50).

I have very light very infrequent periods, before my first implants and between the two (I took a break to see if I could sort out my migraines) I had fairly light but more regular periods. They have always varied in length but not more in the break 3 years ago (in other words 3 years ago I think they were normal, just getting lighter).

The only real menopausal symptom I have is some night sweats, otherwise feel relatively normal/energetic, this year's resolution is to do more cycling and swimming.

If the real sign of menopause is no more periods, how will I know if I'm on the implant? Do people just tend to carry on having new implants back to back till an age where there's no way they could still be ovulating?

Also, once I do go through menopause, any bets what will happen to my (at least partially hormonal) migraines? They happened at other points in my cycle before but were usually worse before my period, and they were worse off the implant when I had the break.

I currently take propanalol for migraine prevention but there's a question of whether it's suddenly started making my asthma worse so if I could stop taking that, it would be good.

drspouse Tue 24-Jan-17 13:02:26

(Basically I rattle...)

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Tue 24-Jan-17 18:14:07

I've a doctors appointment on Thursday so will report back but I think I'm going to ask to get the implant out for a start and see what happens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now