Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Insomnia: Last 3 nights: 4 hours, 3 hours, 3.5 hours. Going crazy, but not tired..

(9 Posts)
Draylon Thu 05-Jan-17 01:12:50

But exhausted.

Work has been mad (HCP in really understaffed unit).

I just don't get it. I mean, it's 01:07 right now. I have decided not to bother going to bed as all I do is toss and turn and disturb DH. I go to bed and read a kindle for hours, notice it's 2am, know I have to get some sleep in order to function, so turn it off, lie awake for another hour, then sleep, max 4 hours, then that's it.

Never been the world's best sleeper but usually, after two rubbish nights, I sleep well on night 3, but I appear to have lost that, seeing as it's night 4 and here I am. I feel spacey but not tired. I power walk for 30 mins of a treadmill most evenings, wine is one glass a night, so-why?

Physical exhaustion should've taken over by now!

Is this something HRT might help with?

PollyPerky Thu 05-Jan-17 08:27:21

Yes!
Hot flushes and insomnia were the 2 things that 'drove' me to HRT. I had such a healthy lifestyle that my consultant said there was nothing else to tweak to try to help.

You might want to give up the wine every evening. Alcohol is known to disturb sleep and it really makes meno symptoms worse. Health wise, regular drinking even just a glass a day increases the risk of breast cancer (2 units a day- a large glass of wine- has a higher risk than HRT.)

Also exercising at the end of a day is known to affect sleep because it can produce adrenaline. Can you exercise at any other time? Lunchtime walk for example?

Mumfun Thu 05-Jan-17 17:26:04

Has made all the difference to me. Was on 4 hours a night and after starting HRT back to normal 6 to 7 hours a night. Thank goodness!

Draylon Fri 06-Jan-17 12:42:04

Good news. That's what I'm hoping for. I had 4 really poor nights' sleep, like 4.5 hours max, in a row.

I do have a high tolerance, in that I'm a HCP, and even at 54, can be dragged out of my bed at stupid o'clock at least one night a week to do a 15 mile round trip and make important decisions while I'm there, tho I could not do actual night shift any more... but last evening we were in Ikea, and I was beginning to feel a bit disorientated, a bit weird as we walked around; but even so, I stayed out of bed til I thought there was a chance I would hit the bed and sleep so I went up at 11pm, slept til 3am, woke for 15 minutes, slept til 7.15am (DH with cup of tea!) then, once the family who had to go out did, went back to dozing til 10.30am. Feel much better. Have had my 30 minute treadmill jog and will now tackle the housework.

I worry that an on-call might fall on Night 4 of these runs; I'm not sure I'd be safe to drive that exhausted.

Anyway, am waiting on this GP appointment. I am nervous in that I might find myself walking out the surgery door with a 'come back in 6 months if you don't feel better'; clutching a googled, printed off sheet suggesting I 'sleep in a well ventilated room on cotton sheets/drink lots of water/ exercise at least 30 minutes a day/ eat well/ drink moderately' etc etc - like I don't already try and do my best to stay reasonably healthy when faced with little time, a demanding, stressful job, teenagers on the cusp of Life Choices and needing to sleep on my days off in order to cope. And I'd cope better, maybe be more mindful and less stressed and desperate (and less likely to reach for the pinot wink) if I wasn't so bloody tired.

Without wishing to sound like I know better than the GP (tho reading the Menopause forum, it appears many of us do!), this time, I want to try HRT.

It has changed the lives of many friends; I am hoping it might change mine!

PollyPerky Fri 06-Jan-17 15:02:40

I think, depending on how your GP feels about HRT ( some are really anti) you might need to add that you have other meno symptoms. Poor sleep alone might not crack it with the GP!

Don't want to bang on but the wine, daily, won't help and makes all peri meno symptoms worse. If you do get HRT I'd cut it out / right down, to reduce risks anyway.

100greenbottles Sat 07-Jan-17 08:15:42

I'm terminally short of sleep too, but my only other symptoms are rage and poor memory. Just can't sleep past 4.15. Not bad enough for HRT I think- are there any other options?

timeforabrewnow Sat 07-Jan-17 08:23:42

Cut the one glass of wine

Mumfun Sun 08-Jan-17 10:26:15

100gb look at menopausematters forum. lots of good information theresmile

100greenbottles Wed 11-Jan-17 22:59:18

Thanks mumfun. Am trying vit B12 for starters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now