Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is it possible to have a problem free menopause? Should I have seen a GP?

(8 Posts)
insan1tyscartching Tue 03-Jan-17 19:49:21

I'm 49 haven't had a period for more than two years and hadn't used hormonal contraception since my twenties. For about three or four months before my periods stopped I had hot flushes and two or three heavy periods but have had no menopausal symptoms at all for two years.
I'm not too good at seeing a GP tbh but thought I'd mention it at my next smear test (due later this year) should I have seen a GP anyway?
I'm pretty ignorant regarding menopause tbh as my dm died young and my friends aren't menopausal so no idea what is expected.

PollyPerky Wed 04-Jan-17 08:30:27

you're very lucky! be thankful and don't worry. No need to see anyone. Only reason to see a dr about meno is for medication (HRT or other treatments.)

Ragwort Wed 04-Jan-17 08:35:18

I had no symptoms either - one hot flush grin and periods stopped - I gave up using contraception after two years. Never mentioned it to GP - not sure what I would have said confused.

Itchylegs Wed 04-Jan-17 08:37:20

Same here. No need to see anyone.

Ragwort Wed 04-Jan-17 08:37:47

Another thought - I have never experienced period problems, any 'hormonal' issues, never had a libido, never felt 'broody' about having a child (I did have one) ........ I wonder if I am missing some sort of hormone confused - not that I can be bothered to do anything about it. grin

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 04-Jan-17 08:43:19

Congratulations! I believe you're considered to have reached the menopause after:

- One year of no periods if you're over 50
- Two years of no periods if you're under 50

I'm 55 and hoping that I'm nearly there, but I've thought this before and then had a nasty surprise. grin I have lots and lots of hot flushes, and I think my memory is slightly more erratic than before. I may also be a touch more emotional at times, but nothing to write home about. I'm blaming the menopause for the fact that I find it harder to shift excess weight now, but frankly that has a lot to do with lack of willpower and not being as physically active as I should be.

I've not seen a doctor about any of this, nor do I plan to. I've not gone on HRT because there is a bad family history of breast cancer in my mum's family. I feel I can manage perfectly well without medication at present.

PollyPerky Wed 04-Jan-17 08:53:36

The only thing to bear in mind, is that as oestrogen falls for a few years post meno, symptoms can start which many women do not link to menopause.
The flushes etc are relatively short term in some women (though for life in others.) But other more serious diseases like osteoporosis, heart disease, vaginal atrophy, bladder problems, pelvic floor problems, joint pain / back pain , depression, are a result of loss of oestrogen. These can still affect you even if you've missed the flushing!

insan1tyscartching Wed 04-Jan-17 08:58:37

Oh that's reassuring then I feel exactly the same as I always did without the hassle of periods, it feels pretty liberating tbh. I consider myself very lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now