Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Coming off HRT

(10 Posts)
Sac60 Mon 02-Jan-17 08:50:58

I came off HRT about 8 weeks ago after seven years - I am now 56. The hot sweats, broken sleep & headaches have started all over again. Any advice please it's driving me crazy.

PollyPerky Mon 02-Jan-17 09:18:48

Why did you stop?

Were there medical reasons? or was it your own personal choice?

You're quite young to come off it. I didn't start HRT until I was almost 54. The risk/benefit stats show benefits outweigh risks until 60 at least.
I've been told by my consultant that you can use it for life as long as there are no medical reasons to stop.

DOTLEYtheONEeyedDINO Mon 02-Jan-17 09:34:30

I started HRT age 44. A year later I came off it - all symptoms had gone. I thought I was fine. Within 3 months WHAM I was dripping in sweat constantly. Now on patches - took 10 days and I'm 100% better. Not miserable or anxious anymore at all. Feel like me again. Might be worth going back to your GP.

Sac60 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:51:55

I was advised by my GP - for the only reason I had been on it for 7 years!

Sac60 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:53:11

Might go back and see another GP - maybe a female one!

PollyPerky Mon 02-Jan-17 11:00:56

Gender ought not to make any difference- some of the worst GPs re menopause are women from my reading of forums!
Your GP is behind the times.

The NICE menopause guidelines- Nov 2015- state there is no time limit on use of HRT and should be prescribed as long as symptoms persist, and women have the right to choose whether to stay on it, having been informed of risks.

This is all online on the NICE guidelines (linked to by me loads on this forum!) so if necessary print off and take to GP.

Sac60 Mon 02-Jan-17 12:46:36

Thanks for listening & advice have made an appointment.

wtffgs Mon 02-Jan-17 13:08:48

Thanks for that Polly. One of our GPs is very pro time limits and I have to see the GP this week for anxiety, depression, insomnia, brain fog etc sad God I hate the fucking perimeno angry

ChuckSnowballs Mon 02-Jan-17 13:18:05

some of the worst GPs re menopause are women from my reading of forums!

Yes. 100%.

Sac60 Tue 03-Jan-17 11:48:03

Went to the GP today - have gone back on HRT. Hopefully will start to feel human again very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now