Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

WTAF?! No period for 7m then bloody hell!

(16 Posts)
Euphemia Tue 27-Dec-16 15:33:27

I'm 50. Periods hellish most of my 40s - various interventions tried, none worked.

Things seemed to settle down as the hot flushes started. hmm Then periods erratic for a year, then nothing since last June until yesterday! (Hot flushes stopped a couple of months ago.)

It's terrifying! Loads of blood - having to change tampon hourly, bleeding all over clothes. sad

I'm away from home and fed up.

Can I ask for a hysterectomy now, please?!

Badders123 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:39:30

If you are bleeding through pads/tampons in an hour I really think you need to get checked out

Euphemia Tue 27-Dec-16 20:42:26

Going to doc tomorrow. Back home now - seems to have calmed down a little.

PollyPerky Wed 28-Dec-16 11:09:24

Mirena coil or drugs each month to reduce the flow.

Euphemia Wed 28-Dec-16 11:26:00

Tried both of those. Didn't work.

Badders123 Wed 28-Dec-16 11:28:17

The dr needs to refer you for an ultrasound to check for fibroids

PollyPerky Wed 28-Dec-16 11:54:50

Coil didn't work?
Ok <rolls up sleeves and dons gloves> next stage is endometrial ablation.

Euphemia Wed 28-Dec-16 12:32:12

Tried that Polly! grin

PollyPerky Wed 28-Dec-16 12:33:48

well you've got one very persistent womb! None of it works?
So the lining grew back?

Euphemia Wed 28-Dec-16 12:35:08

Right, I've got Mefenamic Acid to reduce the bleeding, she had a good old feel of my belly ("What's this scar from?" hmm) and I'm going back in ten days for an internal examination and smear test. Then she's going to refer me for a scan.

Meanwhile, I'm having lunch then back to bed! Am shattered!

Euphemia Wed 28-Dec-16 12:38:09

They couldn't get my cervix open to do it, Polly. hmm I've never been in labour (that's what the scar's from! grin) and the dumbass surgeon had never bothered to find that out, so he had no Plan B if he found a very tight cervix!

Needless to say if it does come to hysterectomy I am NOT going back to that hospital !!!

PollyPerky Wed 28-Dec-16 12:57:24

Poor you.

Sounds as if you need a better surgeon. Of course they can open cervixes. They use dilators. I had mine dilated when wide awake for a hysteroscopy. It took about 30 mins to 'gain access' smile

I hope you find a better dr.

Euphemia Wed 28-Dec-16 13:05:19

He had a poke about and told me as I was coming round from the GA that "We might have ruptured the womb." Fucking idiot! angry

gamerchick Wed 28-Dec-16 13:10:49

Christ it's shit being a woman isn't it? angry sounds like loads of fun this menopause business.

PollyPerky Wed 28-Dec-16 13:34:28

I think you ought to look for a gynae who knows their stuff. Ask your GP for recommendations or go to the websites of your local private hospitals have a look at the websites and special interests of the gynaes, and ask to see one of them via your GP. You can see anyone anywhere in the UK- you don't have to see someone on your doorstep. There is a HUGE difference in expertise amongst consultants so it's a good idea to do some homework on them or ask around for recommendations.

Euphemia Wed 28-Dec-16 17:08:34

Great advice Polly, thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now