Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I really hate and despise my own progesterone.

(11 Posts)
MaQueen Sun 27-Nov-16 23:53:16

I am severely progesterone intolerant (long history of PMS and PND) and so am under Prof Studd, and using his regime of 4 pumps of oestrogel per day + Utrogestan every 3 months.

I still have my own natural period, regularly every month (whether I take Utrogestan or not) but it is extremely light and only lasts 2 days. Also my cycle has lengthened from 25/26 days to more like 31/32 days.

But I seem to be getting more and more intolerant to my own progesterone. These last 2 months my mood has really plummeted as soon as I'm mid cycle, and I feel awful. Really, really low and pointless. It ruined a weekend away last month, and this month ruined a special family event.

Then after 5-6 days of crapness, my mood suddenly really improves, and I feel perfectly normal and good.

I am so sick of this. I am seeing the top consultant out there, and using gold standard HRT...but I am still at the mercy of my own f*cking progesterone every month.

I can't wait to be menopausal, and for these fluctuations to finally bloody stop (Prof. Studd explained I am overly sensitive to the sudden fluctuations in progesterone, rather than an actual high amount of it).

threemoregoals Mon 28-Nov-16 05:10:58

It sounds extreme but I found a really low dose of Prozac sorted this out for me. All the hormonal misery and anxiety and shortness of temper just went and I have my lovely life back

SestraClone Mon 28-Nov-16 11:54:22

Could this be a sign you are hitting the menopause stage?

SallyVating Mon 28-Nov-16 12:13:18

Oh no 😔 MaQ, that sounds awful for you. Given that you seem to be doing everything right treatment wise, are you sure it's not just unfortunate external factors that contributed to those two events being ruined? Were there any stresses going on that could be to blame? It just seems a shame to attribute issues to a regime that you've till now been really happy with and suited to. Sometimes it helps to look outside and just make sure that's it's what you think it is.

I think we're around the same age and I'm just starting to have the occasional hot flush and ragey moods - could it be the start of the menopause do you think?

PollyPerky Mon 28-Nov-16 16:25:25

Having worse PMT during peri as you head towards menopause is something that's recognised.

I know it's not a huge help, but if you KNOW it's hormonal and will 'only' last for a few days can you ride it out? Have you looked into any supplements that might help? I think some of the B vits are supposed to help B6 maybe? And cutting out certain foods especially sugar /refined carbs as they give highs and lows with blood sugar/ mood.

Badders123 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:40:58

Ugh
Sounds grim, but I can relate. (Also have awful pms and had pnd)
I started hrt 3 weeks ago for unbearable peri menopause symptoms and I know I am a nightmare the week before my period arrive hell week as it's known in this house
I don't see how as ADs would help TBH as it's "only" a few days and op is fine at other times....AD effects take time to build up too.
Would - don't flame me! - mediation on those days help? Or mindfulness or whatever you want to call it?
I take menopace plus, vit d (I'm deficient) and magnesium (peri heart issues)
I ave heard that others have great success with things like Agnus castus, cohosh and sage.
Worth a try?

Badders123 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:41:56

Polly...if someone tried to take my carbs from me when I have pms I would remove their spleen with a spoon
😡😂

MaQueen Mon 28-Nov-16 17:35:14

Thanks all.

Years ago I tried taking Prozac for my PMS, but I don't think it helped?

Knowing that it is 'just hormones' helps a bit, but it's still pretty miserable and grim waiting for the bloody mood to lift (and I always panic that it won't this time).

I already take a very good multi vitamin, and avoid sugar where possible. I just feel so resentful and frustrated that my own body is doing this to me. Why do I have to be so sensitive to hormonal fluctuations???

Physically, I seem to be getting off Scott free. No flooding, or migraines or problems 'down below'. It's just these damn mood swings. I really thought I'd cracked it finally last month when my period came and went with zero problems.

But, now instead I seem to be getting problems mid cycle? Not sure if I always actually ovulate or not? But Prof Studd told me that your progesterone levels can still fluctuate even if you don't ovulate.

Grrrrrrrr. I hate this. I just want to be menopausal so these severe hormone fluctuations calm down a lot.

Badders123 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:41:27

Me too
I'm looking forward to it!
I'm only 44 and have been having peri symptoms since I was 40
It's pretty grim knowing I could have years of this ahead of me - hence the hrt.

PollyPerky Mon 28-Nov-16 22:06:44

grin Badders.

Badders123 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:47:13

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now