Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

how do you know if peri when always been irregular

(3 Posts)
fiftyval Wed 12-Oct-16 16:04:11

My cycle has always been irregular. I went on pill in my twenties to establish a reliable cycle but mainly to help with severe pain. It sorted out the pain but when I came off in late thirties to get pregnant the irregularity came back immediately. I went back on as soon as I could and finally came off 3 years ago and am 56. Straight back to very irregular cycle. Have had night sweats , muscle pain but is this enough to suggest have started perimenopause? So hard to tell when the symptoms are not excessive. I gained weight last couple years but over 4 months have easily lost it with combination exercise and cutting down on sugary things. Is it worth seeing G?

PollyPerky Wed 12-Oct-16 16:41:44

I think you should have a chat with your GP about the bleeding. The average age for menopause is 51, which the range being 45-55 -ish. It's quite unusual to be still having periods at 56, though not totally unheard of- but still quite rare.You just need to chat with your dr who may arrange a pelvic scan to make sure all is well and that the bleeding it not being caused by anything else. Are you getting PMS or any other signs that these are cycles you are having, and not bleeding from something else like a fibroid or a polyp?

There is no point seeing your GP for peri symptoms otherwise- blood tests are unreliable and not recommended by NICE if you are over 45.

fiftyval Wed 12-Oct-16 20:41:35

Thanks Polly - I will make an appointment. They do feel like periods with 1-2 days needing super tampons and then 1-2 light days. I do get stomach cramps but nowhere near the level of pain as when younger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now