Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hair loss in menopause - what's 'normal'

(19 Posts)
Parka Mon 03-Oct-16 19:59:07

Hi all

I'm 50. For the last 9 months or so I've been really conscious of losing hair when I touch or brush my hair, or when I wash it. It's really hard to estimate how much but I'd say at least 30 strands a day from the root (I think my hair is in pretty good condition). I've still got hair growing but my scalp is showing through my hair, especially around my parting. To make matters worse this all coincided with the decision to stop dying my hair - so now I'm half grey with a visible scalp .. lovely!

Any advice or tips? I have always had very fine hair but had enough of it not to worry so much about volume. I eat well, take a multivit. I'm on HRT. I used to use Fibrology by L'Oreal to thicken my hair but had to give up on the shampoo as it made my hair really dry and brittle (still use the conditioner).

curryandrice Mon 03-Oct-16 20:05:00

Poor you . Have you had your thyroid checked? I would also look at whether you've got any vitamin deficiencies, particularly vitamin D.

PollyPerky Mon 03-Oct-16 20:55:26

Interesting. I've got a lot of fine hair and am on HRT (for 8 years.) I was thinking that when I wash my hair and comb it out with a wide toothed comb there are rather too many loose hairs for my liking. I also find hairs on seats and on my clothes.I did read though that it is normal for anyone to lose up to 100 hairs a day. Can't really help but am also slightly concerned. Nothing noticeable yet for me but wondering...

I'm sure I read that we all moult in the autumn and spring- could this be it?

Parka Mon 03-Oct-16 21:02:42

Thanks both. I will ask about a thyroid check.
PP - your experience sounds exactly the same as mine - just a growing awareness of a lot of stray hairs about. Mine started being obvious in summer (though I hate to blow your seasonal theory!).

CurlyhairedAssassin Mon 03-Oct-16 21:12:11

I'm only 43 and been thinning for about 2 years. I think I might be bald by your age, OP, if it carries on like this...

Adelie0404 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:17:54

I started shedding heavily after my 2nd daughter - to be expected. It's continued though ever since. She's 8! I am 48 now.

I lose hairs all day long. In the kitchen I see them on the tile and all around the house really. Washing is bad and blow-drying awful. It grows though. It's thinner but still OK. I'm otherwise healthy. I clean them up quite obsessively.
It's all full length from the root. I kind of hate going to the hairdressers because i lose so much.

dancerdog Wed 05-Oct-16 20:32:11

My really thick hair has been thinning now for 2 years. I'm 54, had menopause at 43, sailed through it with nothing to remark on.

I have been diagnosed with underactive thyroid, and low vitamin D. Vitamin D has really helped my nails which were just peeling off. However, hair has continued to thin.

Went to the doctor this morning (for really awful tiredness) and she suggested I try a short course of HRT for 3 months. Not sure how I feel about HRT but will give it a go and see if there is any improvement in tiredness (and hair!)

HormonalHeap Wed 05-Oct-16 22:35:53

I'm 49, on hrt and when I wash my hair I get a small fistful. I am in no doubt it's hormonal as it happened after each of my pregnancies. The difference was then it grew back; now it isn't.

Extremely upsetting. Watching with interest as would love to know which supplements if any do the trick.

Optimist3 Wed 05-Oct-16 22:38:02

Iron
vitamin d

HormonalHeap Thu 06-Oct-16 12:37:06

Thank you optimist. Vit D seems to be a winner all round so i'll try that.

iloveoz Mon 24-Oct-16 16:54:10

hi parka
you sound just like me !
used to have lovely thick hair - now its thinner unsure if its due to hrt been on it for 6months now - have been using same shampoo and now found it makes my hair like straw - have invested in a tangle teaser but just dread combing it at all
can i ask what are you using at the moment
some one has mentioned philip kingsley - elasticiser (sorry spelling)
its going to be dear my give it a whirl - that fed up will try anything !!!
best wishes

chopchopchop Mon 24-Oct-16 16:56:18

This stuff has really lessened my hair loss.

I think I may also have thyroid issues as well, but using this + the same brand of styling spray has meant no more clumps of hair in the plughole, it's quite surprisingly good.

Aoibhe Mon 24-Oct-16 17:00:27

I've suffered hair loss too in the past, so I sympathise, but just keep in mind that we lose up to 100 hairs a day. It's just that obviously you're feeling self conscious about it, and more aware of it.

I'm certain that mine all calmed down when I stopped worrying about it, which is easier said than done I know. Mine was at the temples, and hasn't grown back, but my hair is long so I can hide it for now.

runningnic Wed 02-Nov-16 19:47:00

Hi all, I too have been losing hair - prob for about 7 years, but much worse in the last 3. It is a little sporadic, but at worst, i can lose 100+ whilst having breakfast - they just float onto my shoulders - then more if I wash it and another 100 + when I dry it. I have become obsessed with it and thats how i know the exact amount of hairs lost - one day 432! It has affected my life in a huge way - I used to love having a shower and washing / drying my hair and heading out for the day feeling fabulous....now, I dont wash it for 4 days, tie it back and watch the wispy little stragglers flap hopelessly in the wind. I am trying to find a job, but another part of me doesnt want one as \i then have to worry about what the bl**dy hair is going to do each day. I need to get a grip. Been to docs, had all the tests and nothing came up. Saw dermatologist, nothing. Just had all bloods re-run yesterday so will see what it turns up.
One thing I have been using is Viviscal tablets - my skin and nails are looking great, and the remaining hair feels stronger, but there is still shedding. I am 44 and Peri-menopausal........the joys! I totally empathise with you all x

Bbee Sun 06-Nov-16 20:52:02

It's really making me sad at times, what my head will look like soon. I've just started a well woman product said to help but it's so expensive I don't know if I will be able to continue even if i actually do see a change for the better.

perfumedlife Sun 06-Nov-16 20:58:03

I'm 50 too OP and have noticed the same thing these past few months. I have thyroid problems but they're very well controlled now and I feel great, but blood tests show perimenopausal verging on fully menopausal. I'm just about to order this, heard many great reports. www.victoriahealth.com/editorial/the-best-kept-secret-for-healthy-hair-radiant-skin-and-strong-nails

giggly Sun 06-Nov-16 21:02:10

I've just had a biopsy to try to determine the cause of my hair loss. Mine has gone from the front and sides so none at my temples with a fetching widows peak.
Consultant seems to think it is a combination of thyroid and menopause. On a brighter note she said that often it "burns" itself out. Hopefully before it gets any worse.
I lost my eyebrows about 10 years ago and strangely the hair on both my arms and legs disappeared about 8 weeks ago. Turning I to a right old baldy. I am.50😭

Shiner Thu 10-Nov-16 16:20:20

Another one here for noticeably losing hair. I'm 44, early menopause, been on hrt for 6 years. The hair loss seems to come in waves - a wave lasts months. I'm also wondering where it will lead to if it keeps happening!

mintthins Fri 11-Nov-16 08:38:07

I am so glad to know I am not alone. Serious hair losses after each pregnancy, and after any period of extreme stress, but this does feel different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now