We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

No periods...no flushes/sweats either

(14 Posts)
hollingbury Sun 02-Oct-16 20:24:59

Hi all

I think I've probably had about 3 periods this year...and one which lasted 2 days max. that was the last one, and I think it was around March/April?

I know I'm in perimenopause...I've had hormones checked over past few years and periods have been slowing diminishing.

But I still dont get hot flushes/sweats. I've always typically been oestrogen dominant. Does this mean the oestrogen might not have dropped low enough yet or am i a lucky fuck? Or * grimace * is it in the post?

Thanks all.

aginghippy Sun 02-Oct-16 20:50:27

I never got any flushes, haven't had a period in 3 years. Not everyone gets them.

My main meno symptom is loss of libido sad

PollyPerky Sun 02-Oct-16 21:01:34

It's in the post smile Perhaps.
Not all women get symptoms- figures are 65-80%.

Oestrogen dominant? Not sure what you mean....hormones rise and fall every month with ovulation. If you don't ovulate you won't produce progesterone but that isn't the same as saying someone is 'oestrogen dominant.'

PollyPerky Sun 02-Oct-16 21:02:22

ps the term oestrogen dominant was created by the producers of a progesterone cream as a marketing ploy.

Piscivorus Sun 02-Oct-16 21:09:03

My periods stopped about 3 years ago and I have had a few times when I've felt a bit warmer than expected but nothing like others describe hot flushes or sweats. I claim that it is because oestrogen is stored in fat cells and, as I am enormously fat, I have my own slow release system to cushion the effects of menopause

Smokinghot Sun 02-Oct-16 21:09:13

Loss of libido, yes
Rare periods, yes
Occasionally feeling suddenly a bit sweaty, is this a flush? yes

I'm 48
Should I go to doctor or is this just normal?

hollingbury Mon 03-Oct-16 14:09:38

Thanks all.

When I say ostrogen dominant, I mean that for years - years - my oestrogen levels have been very high, off the scale high even when my testosterone and progesterone were reasonably good- and so they are much lower now, but possibly not as low as they might get?

I've had loss of libido, for sure. That's been unpleasant.

PollyPerky Mon 03-Oct-16 16:20:39

Out of interest- why have you needed to have your hormone levels tested?

I've only ever had 1 test in peri and that was a blood test to test all kinds and not specifically for meno. Never had it repeated even though been on HRT for 8 years.

Ragwort Mon 03-Oct-16 16:29:40

I never had hot flushes or mood swings, my periods just stopped. No side effects at all. (Never had any libido to speak of at all though grin).

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 03-Oct-16 17:16:39

I stopped having periods and thought I'd got away with the flushes...but no. They came with a vengeance a couple of years later.sad

hollingbury Mon 03-Oct-16 19:01:45

I was trying to have a baby, Polly Perky. They started testing hormones then.

Then, later, when I had a brief time with bio-identical hormones, I got tested twice - the hormones are bespoke, tailored to meet the hormones you need, hence needing to know levels.

PollyPerky Mon 03-Oct-16 19:39:04

You mean compounded hormones? Everything I've read says that doesn't work as your hormones are in a state of flux during peri.

Why did you stop using them?

I use bio identical HRT but that's licensed- not made in a private lab- I titrate the dose to get relief - no need to blood tests.

hollingbury Mon 03-Oct-16 21:05:48

Ok, I don't really understand the difference, Polly but it's not what I'm here to really discuss. I had the tests. My question was simply about flushes etc. Thanks

Piscivorus Tue 04-Oct-16 21:07:10

Just take it as a blessing and keep your fingers crossed that it continues grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now