Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hot flushes

(19 Posts)
ivykaty44 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:00:21

When do they start? I've been told that just feeling hot isn't a hot flush and I'm waiting nervously.....?

DramaAlpaca Tue 27-Sep-16 23:07:39

I'm waiting nervously too. I'm 52 and often usually feel hot, especially at night, but I've never had an actual hot flush.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Tue 27-Sep-16 23:52:25

I get them

It's a sudden rush of heat. I think you'd know if you were having one

Mine don't last long but get them a few times daily

SwedishEdith Wed 28-Sep-16 00:16:32

Waiting as well. Started a thread the other day about this that no-one responded too asking if they can feel like the start of a cold with that slight temperature thing.

Janey50 Wed 28-Sep-16 00:19:01

Take it from me,you would know if you were having one!

LifeIsGoodish Wed 28-Sep-16 00:54:36

You don't have to break out in a sweat to be having a hot flush!

It's a very distinctive feeling. They tend to start to a pattern: for me, they start at the top of my chest, spread up to my face and head, then down to my torso and arms, finally reaching my legs. Whatever I am wearing is suddenly overwhelmingly and oppressively too hot - even in the snow. (Now that is weird: to be both too hot and freezing cold at the same time.) They're not nearly as bad in very hot weather. I usually get a full-body blush at the same time.

I don't feel ill or feverish with them, unless I can't strip off a layer or two of clothes or use a fan.

They only last 2-3-4 minutes, but feel like they last forever. They seem tiring if I get many in one day.

ivykaty44 Wed 28-Sep-16 07:12:22

OK those of you that are getting these hot flushes, how long after your periods stopped did you start getting the flushes? Was it a year after your periods stopped? Two years...?

When did you start getting them?

LifeIsGoodish Wed 28-Sep-16 07:45:58

Before. Very lightly and randomly at first, gradually getting stronger as periods became more erratic.

PollyPerky Wed 28-Sep-16 08:10:51

ivy You might not get any! They aren't guaranteed! And everyone is totally different.

They feel like you're blushing. Or mine did. Started at the base of my neck and spread upwards. I had about 12- 15 a day, almost hourly.

Mine started when my I started missing periods. I missed a couple of cycles when I was about 52 then had a few normal cycles, then missed around 4 cycles before another light period and that was almost it. A year or so later I did have what was probably another light one but by then I was on HRT.

ivykaty44 Wed 28-Sep-16 15:57:59

PP ok it seems there are so many horror stories from people about hot flushes but you're the only person that's said you might not get them.

I do sometimes feel hot, but was told this is not a hot flush & even on this thread it seems to be I'd know if I was having a hot flush?

So I thought I'd try and find out when they start after the periods stop?

PollyPerky Wed 28-Sep-16 16:18:04

The stats say that 70-80% of women have peri symptoms. So that means around 3:10 have none smile You might be one of those!

I have friends who say they felt hot but didn't have a flush as such. Other friends who never had any or only very few. Then there is my mum who says she had them from 50-odd to 80.

You might never get any. Hopefully!

ivykaty44 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:53:37

I'm not peri, I'm menopausal though - that's why I was asking when the hot flushes start for menopausal woman

PollyPerky Wed 28-Sep-16 19:45:43

So you are menopausal? That means you have not had a period for 12 months. If you are having periods, even just now and then, you are in peri menopause. If you are menopausal and not had a hot flush yet you might be one of the lucky ones. smile

ivykaty44 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:05:41

I've not had a period for well over 12 months, more like two years. As I said I wanted to know when they start? As I've been warned that just feeling hot is not it and I will have these all consuming feelings if heat sweeping through my body and this lasts through menopause which is around ten years

yeOldeTrout Wed 28-Sep-16 20:13:17

I think I've been getting hot flushes since I was 19 or 20, then, lol.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 28-Sep-16 20:18:02

Jhst sidling in to say sage tablets hekped when I kept waking up hot at night. Actually, must order some more as I haven't taken any for a while and have been having disturbed nights lately!

PollyPerky Thu 29-Sep-16 08:04:32

Who has warned you ivy? Whoever it was is being a bit silly to be honest. Hot flushes are not compulsory! You should stop worrying and go by what you are experiencing not by other women's . You may have none ever.
The menopause doesn't last 10 years. Symptoms can last for as little as 2 years or 25+ years. Everyone is different .

Have a look at this written by a consultant- it explains it all well.

www.menopausematters.co.uk/physical.php

LifeIsGoodish Thu 29-Sep-16 15:55:41

Nonsense. Not all hot flushes are the same. Mine started without me even feeling hot - I would just suddenly get a weird blush-like effect for a few minutes, with no apparent cause. I have a friend who doesn't flush at all, she breaks out in a wringing sweat. I flush, but don't break out in a sweat (despite being an utter Sweaty Betty!)

You can't predict it.

ivykaty44 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:07:42

PP other woman I know, who all seem to know much more about menopause than me! Though not all are actually menopause but seemed much more clued up on everything.

I haven't seen the dr or had any blood tests but as said before haven't had a period for nearly two years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now