Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Brain Fog - is this a real thing?

(9 Posts)
baringan Fri 02-Sep-16 09:33:40

I've been quite worried about my mental health over the last 6 months. My memory is terrible, I am finding it hard to keep track of appointments, I am anxious that I am not on top of things. Yesterday I dyed my hair and mixed the conditioner into the bottle instead of the colour - didn't realise until I went to wash it off and realised it hadn't changed colour confused. I'm not sleeping and feel slightly on edge most of the time.

A friend said to me that this type of brain fog - and that's exactly what it feels like, a fog - is common with the menopause. I'll be 50 in a month or so.

OhNoNotMyBaby Fri 02-Sep-16 09:39:29

yes, I'm afraid it is a real thing. If you google it you will find lots of research papers and commentary about it.

I find it horrible and worrying too tbh. I'm older than you but it's still happening. I couldn't remember the word for scarecrow the other day, and came up with 'stuffed people'. I don't believe it's early dementia (I sincerely hope not shock - it is brain fog. I don't remember what the DCs tell me about what they're doing when and where - though there are 3 of them and I work FT, so not entirely abnormal on that one.

No suggestions - just accept it is normal.

wigglybeezer Fri 02-Sep-16 09:45:02

I am 48 and don't feel mentally sharp these days, however, on the rare occasion when I sleep well for a couple of days my faculties seem to return, so I reckon tiredness is the main factor.

baringan Fri 02-Sep-16 09:54:06

OhNoNotMyBaby sad

I have had a couple of episodes when I have been driving somewhere and momentarily I don't recognise where I am. It lasts seconds but its a horrible feeling sad

I don't drink enough water so I will try drinking more and seeing if that helps.

I have been so concerned. Does it go (too scared to google hmm)?

googlepoodle Fri 02-Sep-16 10:22:56

HRT helped really quickly with this for me

OhNoNotMyBaby Fri 02-Sep-16 10:27:58

It does go apparently. Don't be afraid!

baringan Fri 02-Sep-16 10:43:51

not sure i am 'eligible' for hrt as am still having periods, albeit a bit more randomly than before?

right, its plenty of water, an omega supplement and fresh air every day!!

PollyPerky Fri 02-Sep-16 16:14:16

HRT is for women with symptoms whether they are having periods or not.

SarfEast1cated Sat 03-Sep-16 09:29:00

*googlepoodle Fri 02-Sep-16 10:22:56

HRT helped really quickly with this for me*

Really? I need this then. Am about to start college course and feel like I can't remember a thing! What's the process? Do you need blood tests etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now