Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Please advise - period 5 days late, cramps but negative pregnancy tests

(8 Posts)
Rassy Fri 26-Aug-16 16:37:19

Hi - I'm 46 (nearly 47) and periods can vary from 25 to 30 day cycle. Period is now 5 days late, I keep getting cramping pains, feel exhausted, moody, bloated and have had 3 negative pregnancy tests. DH has had a vasectomy.
Is this the peri menopause? Am worried sick - got GP appointment on Tuesday.

aginghippy Fri 26-Aug-16 16:57:48

Yes at 46 you could be in perimenopause. For many women their cycles become irregular before disappearing entirely. I had frequent periods, then fewer periods, then frequent, etc etc.

What are you worried about?

Rassy Fri 26-Aug-16 17:21:59

Thanks - am worried as getting cramping period like pain but no period! When I was pregnant with both DDs got similar pains at v start too - as if period was about to start.

PersianCatLady Fri 26-Aug-16 17:28:23

Is this the peri menopause? Am worried sick - got GP appointment on Tuesday
Why are you worried sick?

If your DH has had a vasectomy and you have had a negative pregnancy test it is very unlikely that you are pregnant.

Rassy Fri 26-Aug-16 17:32:59

I know but the logical side of my brain appears to have gone missing! Am a natural worrier but have gone into worry overdrive.

PollyPerky Fri 26-Aug-16 17:53:29

Being 5 days late at 47 is normal. You arent PG.

'Phantom' periods are common in peri- all the signs, but no period. You might miss one altogether or it may arrive much later.

Have a read of the Menopause Matters website- big section on peri.

Rassy Fri 26-Aug-16 18:14:04

Thanks - will take a look

PersianCatLady Fri 26-Aug-16 19:17:37

Being 5 days late at 47 is normal. You arent PG
Totally agree but I don't get what all the worry is about????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now