Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Symptoms of Peri-menopause?

(6 Posts)
fireandicecubes Thu 23-Jun-16 20:22:36

I was 48 last December & feel like a switch was pressed soon after! My periods now seem to turn up every 2 - 3 weeks (was always spot on 28 days before), they seem heavier although not lasting as long. I'm having dizzy spells & I feel so depressed & emotional. I've always had night sweats due to my medication but they're so much worse recently. I've had my hormone levels checked & they're just within normal range although my GP does think I'm menopausal. My concentration seems to have disappeared & I have very little motivation at the moment. Does anyone have any tips for minimising the symptoms? I am intending to see my GP about the depression as I'm already taking anti-depressants but think I may need a different type. I can't have HRT or hormonal contraceptives as I've had bowel surgery & I have absorption issues. Thanks in advance.

PollyPerky Thu 23-Jun-16 21:02:28

Just a couple of points- blood tests for hormones are unreliable during peri and therefore not recommended by NICE in the latest meno guidelines (there is a thread on this a few threads down- key points.)

ADs are not recommended for peri menopause unless there is an existing diagnosis of clinical depression - not just low mood.

Transdermal HRT ( through the skin as a patch or gel) means you may be able to use it.

PollyPerky Thu 23-Jun-16 22:17:03

sorry- didn't finish!

Many women don't use pills as a form of HRT for the very reason they are badly absorbed. The safer and more effective types of HRT ( patches and gel) bypass the liver and the digestive tract. So you are most probably fine with these as the hormones are absorbed through the skin.

You may very well find your depression lifts is you use oestrogen, not ADs which is what NICE suggests.

fireandicecubes Fri 24-Jun-16 14:25:24

Sorry didn't explain properly, I've been on ADs for many years due to depression caused by my chronic illness (I have Crohn's disease) but I do think I need to discuss a change with my GP as I've felt they're not working for a while & the start of the menopause has made my depression worse.

Thanks for the info about HRT, I wasn't aware of patches or gel so that may be something to think about. I've recently had an ultrasound scan to see if I've got fibroids or ovarian cysts & I'm waiting to speak to my GP for the results of that but I'm not expecting them to find anything.

PollyPerky Fri 24-Jun-16 15:12:09

sorry about your Crohn's.

I am sure you are aware of it, but Crohn's can put you at risk of osteoporosis due to malabsorption of minerals etc. Have you had bone density scans at all? if not, ask for one!

Even if you have a fibroid or a cyst it doesn't mean you can't use HRT. I had a full gynae MOT some years back and they found a small fibroid and a cyst. The cyst was monitored for a couple of years but neither it nor the fibroid was a reason not to use HRT (under same consultant.)

Out of interest, did they scan you for any other reason or was it a pre HRT scan because tbh this is not necessary.

fireandicecubes Fri 24-Jun-16 22:50:02

The scan was requested because of irregular bleeding - my GP wanted to rule out fibroids but I've spoken to her today & the scan results have shown 2 fibroids so she's referred me to a gynaecologist.

My bone density is ok, was tested last year. I was only diagnosed with Crohns 4 years ago & I've only had 3 rounds of steroids in that time & until 2 years ago my absorption of nutrients was good, unfortunately my last flare in Aug 2014 put paid to that so I had calcium tablets for quite a while. Luckily my surgery put me in remission so I'm no more at risk of osteoporosis than most people without IBD (my GI & IBD nurse are very on the ball with bone issues - thankfully).

Hopefully my referral won't take too long & I won't need anything doing to the fibroids although if they took the lot away I wouldn't be complaining.

Thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now