Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Vitamins

(9 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Thu 23-Jun-16 18:08:55

Nurse and gynea doctor contradict each other and neither will do tests so I'm getting on with trying to help myself. Please can anyone recommend some good menopause vitamins or does it depend which symptoms I have?

PollyPerky Fri 24-Jun-16 12:06:44

contradict each other on what? You don't need tests if you are over 45 and having recognised peri symptoms- have a look at the NICE meno report under 'Diagnosis'.

There are no vitamins that will help meno really, though some women do say they feel a bit better on Menopace.

As you've said, you need to target symptoms. what's going on? Lack of sleep? Flushes etc?

Why no HRT?

Goingtobeawesome Fri 24-Jun-16 12:11:05

Nurse said can tell if peri-menopausal by a blood test. Hospital gynea consultant said you can't.

I'm 44. Hot flushes, anxiety, can't sleep but very tired mid afternoon, 2/3 last periods have been not on time.

At hospital yesterday. Will now be having monthly injections for four months so shall see how that goes.

I generally respond well to meds (Agnus castus and starflower) so keen to try something as struggling.

PollyPerky Fri 24-Jun-16 13:41:37

Monthly injections for peri menopause? Or something else? Have you another condition?

Your gynae is correct- blood tests for women under 45 are necessary but at 44 and with peri symptoms they aren't very reliable.

If you are 44 and having irregular periods, meno symptoms and so on, then HRT is recommended by Nice as you are on the young side for meno.

Agnus and starflower are not meds- did you mean herbs?

I've posted a link several times on this forum to the report by the RCOG about the efficacy of herbal products for menopause- do a search and it will come up.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 24-Jun-16 15:41:42

For something else.

They aren't herbs, they are tablets. I've been taking them for a long time.

I think I'll go research somewhere else.

PollyPerky Fri 24-Jun-16 15:56:13

Herb Agnus Cactus

staflower oil extracted from the herb borage

Royal College of Gynaecologists Alternatives to HRT

You aren't going to get any better opinions than the last link smile

PollyPerky Fri 24-Jun-16 15:57:59

The herbs are made into tablets. They are herbal medicine.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 24-Jun-16 16:03:08

It's your posting style PP. I've seen it many times. You come across as quite rude and dismissive at times and have been so with me before. I just wasn't going to go through it all again with you.

People post because they don't know the answer and/or would like to talk to someone. Making someone feel stupid is never nice. I think it was clear what I meant and I'm aware they are herbal since I buy them from Holland & Barrett.

PollyPerky Fri 24-Jun-16 17:18:07

I see.

Okay.

I don't mean to be rude or dismissive. That may be how it seems but I'm posting in the middle of a busy day. I can't recall your previous posts, so when you said 'meds' I took that at face value. I won't bother to link to anything for you in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now