Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I feel like an old woman. Do things improve?!

(4 Posts)
Jarlin Mon 20-Jun-16 21:38:40

Hi all

I'm 52 and recent blood tests confirm I'm menopausal sad
I'm having the odd hot flush but nothing horrific.
But my joints ache and I am tired and forgetful.
My GP is lovely but I think he's fed up of seeing me and pretty much said that all my symptoms are to be expected and to research herbal remedies.
I wanted to discuss HRT but felt he didn't think it nessecary. I doubt I'd be able to have it anyway - my mum had breast cancer at 44 and I have had two episodes of breast cysts.
Anyway, my question for you ladies is 'do things get better?!'
I mean, will my joints eventually feel better (at least until osteoarthritis sets in hmm !)
Will my memory return? Will I feel energised ever again?!
Will my libido ever return?

I have been prescribed Estriol cream for vaginal dryness - does it work?

Sorry for so many questions confused

PollyPerky Mon 20-Jun-16 22:04:51

sorry to hear you are not great.

TBH it's your choice about HRT. My consultant says that 2 first degree relatives with breast cancer before 40 is a 'warning' to re-think HRT but you don't fit into that group. I'd ask your GP for a referral to a gynae/ meno expert for a 2nd opinion if you want to try HRT and your GP isn't confident about prescribing.

You might feel better and you might not- everyone is different. Oestrogen- deficiency doesn't go away altogether - and you ought to try all the lifestyle measures to help- exercise, clean eating, maybe some supplements. Have a look at website Menopause Matters for more on this.

Yes, the cream works but give it time- might take 3- 6months for a real improvement.

Jarlin Tue 21-Jun-16 18:18:09

Thanks for your reply.
After reading it, I thought 'yes! This is my body - my decision!'
Then went to work and when discussing with a fellow menopausal friend, she said
'Why would you want to put artificial hormones in your body?! Let nature take its course!'
And felt all confused again!
I do work with some obs & gynae experts so might catch one of them soon and ask their opinion.
Will carry on using vaginal cream in the meantime.

PollyPerky Tue 21-Jun-16 19:47:19

Just tell your friend that the hormones in HRT are - if you choose the right ones from those available- not artificial- they have exactly the same molecular structure as our own. So you're topping up and extending your 'own' hormones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now