Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this perimenopause?

(4 Posts)
EustachianTube Mon 13-Jun-16 07:19:46

I've always had totally regular cycles, 28 days on the dot. over the last year, I noticed them going a bit erratic so starting tracking them properly. They're now varying between 21 days (what a joy that was) to the current one which was 35 days. This month has been incredibly light, barely more than a couple of days of spotting really. Is this likely to be perimonopause? I don't have any other symptoms I don't think, although it's hard to tell as I have another illness which causes exhaustion and insomnia anyway. If it is, do I need to see a GP to confirm or anything? I'm 42.

PollyPerky Mon 13-Jun-16 17:52:22

If it's peri meno then you are on the young side. The current medical advice is that early meno ( periods stopping completely or petering out well before 45 ) has to be treated with HRT to prevent increased risk of heart disease and osteoporosis in 20 years time.

Keep a diary of your cycles for 6 months and then see your GP.

If you do have other illnesses then yes, periods can go a bit all over the pace due to not being well and being tired. At 42 your GP can do a blood test for peri meno but not once you're over 45 as then it's classed as 'normal' to have meno symptoms.

EustachianTube Mon 13-Jun-16 19:59:20

Early menopause does seem to run in my family, mum was 40ish, auntie was late 30s (but also had other medical problems).
I have an app with details of cycles for the last 8 months or so and am at the docs in a few weeks anyway so will mention it then.

EustachianTube Mon 13-Jun-16 20:03:37

And thank you for the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now