Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Coming off hrt

(3 Posts)
Savagebeauty Sat 11-Jun-16 08:20:02

I'm 56 and been on Elleste duet about 7 years.
I feel it's time to come off....sick of having monthly bleeds as much as anything. Also have put on weight for the first time over the last year despite watching diet.
What experiences has anyone had coming off?
I have totally reduced stress in my life recently .

PollyPerky Sat 11-Jun-16 10:06:40

You know you can use a conti type (pills or patches) or have the Mirena coil and a separate oestrogen? These will stop the monthly bleed. Have you been offered this at your HRT reviews each year or whenever you have them?

It won't be the HRT that is causing the weight gain- if anything it helps keep it off as weight gain post meno is related to loss of oestrogen.

Why did you use HRT in the first place? 'cos whatever symptoms you had may come back for a while and it depends on how you feel about that.

Mr dr's advice is that women come off it really slowly over 6 months - by reducing the dose and how often they take it. I think if you are sure then you have to give it a go. I read another forum on meno and tbh there are so many different posts about 'coming off experiences' ranging from the 'horrendous' to the' didn't really notice any difference', that no one can predict how you will feel.

Savagebeauty Sat 11-Jun-16 11:14:13

I've tried conti.... horrendous . Bled for 30 days. And put on 8 lbs in that time.
I can't remember why I went on hrt.....I was very stressed and wanted to kill people I seem to remember.
I'll make an appointment... bloody hell it's hard being a woman

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now