Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Constant period pains - any remedies apart from painkillers?

(5 Posts)
Anagallisarvensis Thu 19-May-16 11:47:51

I am 51 and now almost at the end of the fifth week of constant period pains although my last period was in March. I have seen my GP - the blood test was normal and she's booked me in for an ultrasound scan but that isn't until next month. I am taking 500mg ibuprofen and paracetamol 2 or 3 times a day but when they wear off the pains come back. It feels as if someone is wringing out my lower regions like a wet towel. I never used to get very bad period pains with my regular periods - a few twinges on the first day that a couple of paracetamol sorted. In myself I feel perfectly well, not PMT-strung out. Does anyone know how long these pains are likely to go on for? I really don't like taking this many painkillers but when I tried going without I had to go and lie down.

Anagallisarvensis Thu 19-May-16 12:16:25

The GP thinks it's probably just perimenopause but is being careful in case there's anything wrong with my ovaries, hence the blood test and scan. I just hate feeling this uncomfortable all the time - pills are wearing off again and it's an hour before I can take more.

whatevva Thu 19-May-16 12:56:27

That does not sound much fun at all sad. I have had worse, and more random period pains in perimenopause but nothing like that. I do seem to have gone through an awful lot of ibuprofen though ( and tangentially, am really brassed off that I can no longer get 90 for £1.55 at Sainsbury's pharmacy, now that they are being taken over! Knew it was too good to last.)

I don't know what else to suggest other than the old-fashioned things like warm lavender baths, wheat bags and chamomile tea to help you relax to take the edge off.

When I have had a really bad pain at night, I have taken neurophen plus which is ibuprofen and codeine. The downside of this is that it makes you constipated, which doesn't help.......but can be counteracted with kiwi fruit.

Anagallisarvensis Thu 19-May-16 14:35:46

Thanks @whatevva! At first the GP prescribed co-codamol but I fell asleep and knew I wouldn't be safe driving. I guess they'd be alright at night time. Thanks for the kiwi fruit tip - I eat tons of fruit so it shouldn't be a problem. I have hot water bottles and one of those things you stick in the microwave but I don't have the time to be lying down all the while! I go for regular walks and do line dancing - moderate exercise seems to help a bit. But if I have a long drive (which it sometimes is in the rush hour) it's miserable.

whatevva Thu 19-May-16 15:12:15

It is probably a matter of timing the painkillers for the optimum effect. My MIL, who had a lot of pain from cancer, was a great believer in distraction. She used to go round with a microwave wheat bag thing tied round her - she added tapes specially grin.

Kiwi fruits are a magic laxative - if you need them, they work well, and if you don't need them, you don't end up dashing to the loo! Two will shift anything wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now