Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Surgically induced menopause - will it be hell?

(10 Posts)
3SquareCircles Sat 07-May-16 16:41:34

I'm 32 and having my ovaries removed next week due to cysts and fibroids .

I'm worried about how I'm going to cope with the menopause and wondering if someone can answer my questions ?

Is there any risk in me taking HRT at my age?

What kind of HRT is best ?

How long will the menopause last ? Weeks or months ?

Will I be back to normal post menopause ? So no hot flushes, no dryness in my nether regions , dry hair and so on ?

Does HRT cure all the symptoms of the menopause ?

Will I still have a period ? blush

I am petrified of the menopause !

PollyPerky Sat 07-May-16 17:21:32

That's a huge op for someone of your age- are the cysts possibly 'dangerous'? Have you had another opinion to see if there are other options? Can't they just remove the cysts and fibroids and leave everything intact? Are they removing your uterus?

Your consultant should discuss all your questions with you before the op. Have they not given you any information to read?

To be honest you will need HRT for the next 20 years to the age of average men- 52. Once you stop, your symptoms may start again- meno symptoms. You may need to be on HRT for life because even post meno the ovaries produce some hormones, including testosterone.

I do hope you are given proper support by the medics when you go through all of this.

PollyPerky Sat 07-May-16 17:23:29

THIS gives some info though slightly different op.

3SquareCircles Sat 07-May-16 18:11:56

Thank you for the information I'll have a look.

I got lots of information around the operation itself but not so much after . I also forget to ask questions until I'm home blush

The cysts are quite large and one is starting to twist my ovary so removal was recommended .

For life ?! shock

Is it even safe to take HRT for 20 years ??

(I've read some of your other posts on the menopause topic and you seem very clued up so I really appreciate you responding ) smile

PollyPerky Sat 07-May-16 19:04:24

It's a shame that your dr didn't spend time going through what happens next! It's a really big step to lose both your ovaries at your age. Have you thought about asking for a 2nd opinion to see if they could conserve them or part of them? Some drs sadly are happy to whip everything out 'for the best' but they aren't the ones living with the results.

Are they removing your uterus?

You might find some more info on the Daisy Network website. This is for women who have premature menos but I think there is something there about surgical meno too.

I don't want to pry but is your family complete?

If not, it's just another reason to ask to see another consultant before having this op.

Back to your previous points. HRT doesn't 'cure' the menopause. It's like a diabetic using insulin or someone taking thyroid meds- it works while you use it.

The meno will start a few days after your op and that will be the permanent state for the rest of your life. You will need HRT like a woman who loses her ovarian function naturally in her early 30s- to prevent osteoporosis, heart disease and Parkinsons.

You need - according to all medical advice! - to use HRT up to 50 at least. There is no risk- the risk is if you don't use it! You are putting back what you ought to have.

If you stop HRT before then, you may be lucky and have no short term symptoms like flushes etc, but you will still be at risk from the other serious illnesses in later life.

Once you reach 50-ish you can think about coming off it if you want to but you don't have to. Women who have had their ovaries removed are sometimes given testosterone as well because our ovaries produce this too even after menopause.

I think your drs would suggest you use a type which will give you a period but it's a withdrawal bleed like on the PIll. If you have fibroids they may suggest using a mirena coil and a separate oestrogen because the coil will help prevent the fibroids growing.

I hope this helps and god luck with the op - but if you have any doubts you can always delay and ask for another opinion!

3SquareCircles Sat 07-May-16 19:56:16

flowers for taking the time to reply .

I'm keeping my uterus and my family is definitely complete , but I'm beginning to think this op is more major than I first thought confused

I think I will ask for a second opinion .

And I'll pop over to the daisy website .

I'm very torn on this! flowers

PollyPerky Sat 07-May-16 21:03:47

I think you'd be wise to explore all options. The usual reasons for ovary removal are cancer or very bad cysts that might rupture but I'm sure I've read that they can try to preserve some of your ovaries so you do at least keep some of your natural hormones. It is an op that will have long term consequences so yes, you need to be sure. flowers

lynmon43 Wed 11-May-16 21:00:28

Hi can anyone advise what time is best to take her...morning or evening???

lljkk Thu 12-May-16 10:16:54

Trying to figure out if it's safe to take for 18-20+ yrs... Something to keep in mind is that the formulations & delivery systems have changed. What choices people had 20 yrs ago are different. So any safety study is partly about what was available then not now.

I'm 48 & would try not to take it now, partly because I'm lazy about pills, but I would definitely plan HRT if had a ovaries out at age 32. Good luck!!

PollyPerky Thu 12-May-16 10:59:48

Just as an aside - pills are just one option. I've used HRT for almost 8 years and never ever taken a pill as the delivery system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now