Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Smear tests

(8 Posts)
KathyBeale Wed 04-May-16 12:35:28

Hey all

My smear test is a year overdue. I know I should go and have it done, but I've not made an appointment. It's partly because I don't have regular cycles any more so I don't know when to book it for (it's meant to be mid-cycle, right?) and partly because I feel so out of sorts and fragile, that the thought of such an invasive test makes me want to cry.

So, my question is in two parts - how important are smears? And how do you schedule them when you don't have regular cycles?

I realise that the answer to all these feelings is to go and see my GP about HRT but I can't deal with that either really. It's almost a year since my GP said I was heading to menopause (my FSH was 69 then) and I'm 42. Though my symptoms are becoming too hard to ignore really!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 04-May-16 12:38:45

I hear you, I'm in the same boat!

Dixxie Wed 04-May-16 13:40:44

Oh ladies, please get your smear tests. I would be dead now if I hadn't had regular tests. I've had loads of smears, they're not that invasive - the nurse has seen it all, it's over in seconds and you barely feel a thing, especially now because in the last few years they've introduced an even gentler way of doing it. It's less stressful than giving a blood sample from your arm, and just about as quick... Seriously though, they only just caught my pre-cancerous cells in time, and then it happened again 6 years later but they got it early. Please get your smears and don't imagine it to be a big deal. Xxx

cassgate Wed 04-May-16 21:20:53

Similar situation here. My smear test was 18 months overdue. My periods have been all over the place am 45 and I had to cancel one just before xmas because I was on yet another period. I haven't had a period since Jan and I finally had my test 2 weeks ago. Got the result today and all normal thankfully. Book the test you can always cancel like I did if your period turns up.

aristocat Thu 26-May-16 20:26:34

OMG this is my problem at the moment. Had a smear in Feb and have been recalled but my periods are so irregular (have had 8 this year already) it is proving very difficult. Finally had an appointment for my smear today but the nurse had to stop as I bled. She said I will need a Gynae referral sad Have an appointment with GP next week.

Please go for your smear.

PollyPerky Thu 26-May-16 20:53:12

That does sound a bit OTT- the gynae referral. Why did you bleed? Was this vaginal soreness / atrophy- or do you mean you had a period while she was doing it? If you are bleeding because of vaginal atrophy, the treatment is easy- vaginal hormone cream to use for a couple of weeks before the smear.

aristocat Thu 26-May-16 22:45:32

Polly the nurse started to take my cells with the brush and that is what caused the bleeding. It would have been pointless to send them for analysis as would only come back as a no result. I am 49 and now have had 2 unsuccessful smear attempts so assume that and my frequency was why the referral was suggested.

aristocat Thu 26-May-16 22:45:58

Polly the nurse started to take my cells with the brush and that is what caused the bleeding. It would have been pointless to send them for analysis as would only come back as a no result. I am 49 and now have had 2 unsuccessful smear attempts so assume that and my frequency was why the referral was suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now