Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Started Femoston 1/10 today. Anyone else?

(9 Posts)
June71 Sat 23-Apr-16 10:24:34

Hi, I haven't had a period for 4 months and after three months of horrific day and night sweats (and widespread joint, muscle/bone pain), I'm starting on HRT.
I'm only 44 and I really want my life back. Tried a cocktail of supplements this last few months (soya, sage, starflower oil, omega 3, multi-vits) but nothing helped and I think at my age the benefits of HRT outweigh the risks.
Is anyone else on Femoston 1/10? I'm wandering how long it will take to work (desperate!) and how long you bleed for after progesterone tablets?
I was hoping to book a holiday in June, but I'm holding off because I don't know how I'll be on this...hoping the dark days are over!🙁

PollyPerky Sat 23-Apr-16 10:40:57

Hi I don't understand your last point- do you mean you don't want to book a holiday because of the bleed, or because you don't want to have a holiday when on HRT?

You may find there are guidelines on the info leaflet in the packet about the bleed- or your GP should have told you- can't understand these drs who prescribe and don't actually communicate how something works!

The bleed usually starts 3 days after the last progestogen tablet but that is only a guide. It may be 2 days or 4 days.

You have to give all HRT 3 months before changing to another type if you feel it's not working.

PollyPerky Sat 23-Apr-16 10:42:44

Did you mean how long does the bleed last? Hard to say- same as how long does a natural period last- different for everyone. A few days- you will have to see .

June71 Sat 23-Apr-16 11:09:51

Hi Polly...yes I meant how long does the bleed last. I was wandering if it's like having a period or lighter.
I'm just wary of booking a holiday until I know how I'll be on HRT full-stop...whether it will work or I'll have side-effects etc. I know I wouldn't enjoy a holiday at the moment, because the sweats are happening every hour or more. I'm hoping it will be plain-sailing from here!

PollyPerky Sat 23-Apr-16 13:32:12

The bleed is unlikely to last longer than a normal period. It depends a bit on how low your own oestrogen was before you started using HRT. If someone has had really low oestrogen for years and maybe light periods then in comparison an HRT bleed can be heavier. But you are only using the low dose of 1mg so it's unlikely. There is a type of HRT - Tridestra- which gives a bleed once every 3 months so if the bleeds are a problem ask your GP about this - or consider the Mirena plus oestrogen so you won't have a bleed at all.

goshnotme Sat 23-Apr-16 13:39:50

I'm on this. It took a week or two to start working. It's fantastic. I feel so much happier. The 'period' is just like a normal period, and not too heavy at all. You will be fine on holiday - go ahead and book it.

Enjoy!

June71 Sat 23-Apr-16 15:19:03

Thanks Polly, that's helpful and goshnotme, that's good to hear and encouraging...thanks!

manxrose21 Mon 27-Feb-17 21:33:25

Your post made me cry !! I've just taken my very first Femonston 1/10 today.....I'm 41 and feel very lost right now.....your post filled me with positivity !! Thank you 😊

befairdontjudge Fri 03-Mar-17 13:14:47

Is started on Femston 2/10 its good. I am now on Oestrogel and Utrogestan this personal choice as love gel. However Femston is excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now