Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this the start of menopause? nightmare already

(7 Posts)
80schild Sun 17-Apr-16 21:41:18

Two weeks ago I started having hot flushes. The first time it happened I assumed I had overdressed. However, since then it has happened every day to the point where I am soaking with sweat and self conscious of my smell (I have never had BO before).

As if this wasn't bad enough I have had two periods really close together, all of a sudden. They have both been really painful.

Is this the start of the menopause or should I see my GP.

MrsSteptoe Sun 17-Apr-16 21:44:29

How old are you? Mine started before I was 50, with heavier periods, a couple that were close together, and with a bit of hot flush (though I was a bit luckier than you, I think, in that it never really caused a breakout of massive perspiration). I also found that I suffered terribly with non-specific anxiety at night, waking up with a hammering heart. GP didn't recognise that as being a menopausal symptom, but so many of my friends had a similar thing that we all decided it was just a fairly under-documented one!

MrsSteptoe Sun 17-Apr-16 21:46:04

Go to your GP anyway, because they can do a blood test which gives a positive diagnosis (as opposed to a diagnosis of exclusion).

PollyPerky Mon 18-Apr-16 08:59:22

It's a bit premature to see your GP unless you are under 45 OR unless you want to discuss treatment like HRT.

Blood tests are only accurate once you are post menopause. NICE has stated menopause guidelines out Nov 2015) that women over 45 ought not to have blood tests because they are a) inaccurate (only show hormones on that day) and b) unnecessary- GPs should treat symptoms in women over 45.

If you are under 45 your GP should run blood tests in case you are having a premature menopause.

80schild Mon 18-Apr-16 13:04:51

I have only just turned 40. I have had a few weird symptoms recently and my GP thought it might be autoimmune. I have a smear on Friday so maybe I could talk to the nurse about it then?

MrsSteptoe Mon 18-Apr-16 14:50:43

I should if I were you... even if you are a bit young, daily hot flushes to the point of soaking with sweat sounds horrid, and you should seek medical advice to see if you can get some relief from them! Good luck

lljkk Mon 18-Apr-16 17:09:19

Some Other causes for hot flushes (not (peri)menopause). I've had the not-menop flushes.

Just how close together were the 2 periods.... is there any chance you were pg & had m/c? Are painful periods unusual for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now