Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Does HRT make you put on weight?

(15 Posts)
GrumpyOldBag Thu 14-Apr-16 18:35:52

Doctor has confirmed peri-menopause and said I can start HRT whenever I want. I'm 52 & still having regular periods, but have other symptoms like sleeping badly and feeling cross (see my user name!)

In the past 3 months I've been putting on weight too - will HRT help correct that, or make it worse? I think it's partly due to eating more because I feel tired all the time due to not sleeping.

Thanks.

Cocolepew Thu 14-Apr-16 18:37:48

It didnt with me. But it didnt help me lose any either.

GrumpyOldBag Thu 14-Apr-16 18:53:25

Ok - well that's a start!

If I'm feeling better probably won't eat so much ...

madmother1 Thu 14-Apr-16 18:59:43

I did put on a little weight but realised that I was constantly snacking and not exercising. I made a conscious effort to rectify this and lost a stone. So, I don't think hrt adds weight, just lead a healthier lifestyle wink

TwoTonTessie Thu 14-Apr-16 19:11:09

Difficult to say in my case. I had already put on a fair bit of weight but the week I stared HRT I also started Slimming World because I was worried that I would keep gaining weight. I then lost 3.5 stones in 6 months and feel much better about myself grin

GrumpyOldBag Thu 14-Apr-16 19:21:07

Good for you Tessie :-)

HormonalHeap Thu 14-Apr-16 19:35:08

Made me retain water for the first few weeks but that settles down and I don't think I'm now any heavier than I used to be, although have never had a weight problem.

3catsandcounting Sat 16-Apr-16 21:46:14

Grumpy- I'm 53 and am thinking of HRT. I've put a stone on in 12 months without doing anything differently; I'm grumpy, anxious, everyone bloody irritates me.
I still have my Mirena coil, so don't have periods, which means I don't know where I am!
I have no advice, but will be following you.

TwoTonTessie Sun 17-Apr-16 08:17:46

3cats I have the Mirena too. Tell your doctor about your symptoms and ask for blood tests, that's what I did. I felt so much less y after starting HRT.

Hassled Sun 17-Apr-16 08:19:03

I didn't gain any weight - and the HRT helped enormously in controlling mood swings etc.

3catsandcounting Sun 17-Apr-16 13:52:58

Two - I had blood tests which confirmed peri (don't think they're that reliable though?)
The GP prescribed me 'Premique' which I then googled, and found they were 'old style' which everyone seemed to advise against.
Didn't take them, have carried on without anything since, but feel the need to go back to GP and ask for something else.

PollyPerky Sun 17-Apr-16 14:05:06

3cats if you already have a Mirena (lasts for 4 years as part of HRT) then all you need is some oestrogen (Mirena gives you the progestogen side of HRT) and something like gel is brilliant. Spread on your arms or thighs each day and Bob's your uncle!
Isn't Premique oestrogen and progestogen? If so it doesn't inspire much confidence in your GP 'cos they ought to know what to give you if you had the Mirena at the time.

You do have to cut back on food around the menopause regardless of HRT - our metabolism changes in mid-life and we simply don't needs as much food.
Also we tend not to be so active especially if we have desk jobs.
I eat about half of what I did / could in my 20s and 30s.

Roseformeplease Sun 17-Apr-16 16:35:57

Oestrogel, plus Mirena = happy, well and no real weight gain that can't be blamed on food and wine.

Fwaffy Sun 17-Apr-16 16:44:01

Just to add more anecdotal data, my mum felt HRT made exercise more "effective" in a way. She'd been struggling to lose the last few pounds and felt HRT made it easier.

That may have been due to the fact that it helped her mood and hot flushes but either way it was a big thumbs up from her.

She had Mirena and oestrogen patch.

3catsandcounting Sun 17-Apr-16 18:36:43

Polly - thing is, my Mirena is now 7 years old. GP at FP clinic where I went for my smear, told me that I could just leave it in now considering my age.
Given its age, would it have enough progesterone left to have an effect?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now