Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I think I am in perimenopause. I'm 34.

(5 Posts)
fridgepants Sat 09-Apr-16 22:42:39

So I've been having these hot flushes for a year or so, but it didn't seem worth seeing the GP about. Then I missed my period in June, and again last month. April's is here two weeks early. Yay.

Aside from that, they've been slightly irregular, a few days late or early each month. Wish I'd kept a record now.

I've also gained a lot of weight around my middle (I genuinely look pregnant over the past few weeks), get big lumpy underskin spots, and black hairs growing out of my chin (I am very fair and have no black hair anywhere else). I have bipolar disorder so the mood swings are hard to pin down, but I definitely get a lot of headaches (I was sent for an MRI last year) and have become very forgetful to the point that I asked the CMHT whether adult ADD was a possibility. I also have bouts of insomnia and an occasional 'fast' feeling in my chest (are these palpitations?)

I might be worrying about nothing, but I'm worried my GP will dismiss my concerns because of my age. My mum had me at 36 and my sister had had a complete hysterectomy when she was a little younger than me (fibroids). Should I worry?

dodobookends Sun 10-Apr-16 12:54:08

It would be worth going to your GP and taking a list of all the things you mention on here, just so you remember to tell them everything. They will probably be able to do a blood test to measure hormone levels etc, and will be able to look at your symptoms and rule out anything else too.

redannie118 Sun 10-Apr-16 12:56:52

Def go to your gp it does sound like theres something going on. I went to gp thinking I was in peri menopause and it turns out I had a auto immune disease. It will put your mind at rest if nothing else

Mishaps Sun 10-Apr-16 13:01:26

Check this out: www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Polycystic-ovarian-syndrome/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Polycystic ovary syndrome can cause the symptoms you are describing.

lljkk Tue 12-Apr-16 17:25:20

Is it possible to just get older on MN, to have all the symptoms of "just getting older", without someone having to medicalise it to be XYZ.

DH is very fit & well & 7 yrs younger than me. My rule of thumb is that anything he gets that I ever got is ... just getting older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now