Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hysterectomy

(10 Posts)
Victoria2602 Sat 09-Apr-16 12:51:29

I hope this is the right place. I'm waiting for a full hysterectomy. I suffer from a pmdd, varicose veins on my ovaries, heavy periods with extreme pain lasting 21 out of every 30 days.
I have been trying various different medicines for nearly 10 years and nothing has helped
I've been on prostap 3ds for 9 months while awaiting on my surgery.Im also taking HRT. Some of my symptoms are coming back- heavy legs, painful breasts and tiredness. But my main problem at the moment is my mood. I'm very down and I have no confidence to do anything which means I'm constantly nervous.
Has anyone ever experienced this. I feel like I'm constantly walking into a brick wall and I still have to get the strength for the operation sad

MyUsernameDoesntHaveNumbers Sat 09-Apr-16 12:55:37

Prostap and HRT?
I am talking prostap while wait for my hysterectomy and was told that the point of prostap is to put you into a chemical menopause and the HRT would work against the prostap?

Victoria2602 Sat 09-Apr-16 13:48:19

Hi, Prostap is to put you into menopause but the HRT is to help with the menopause symptoms. Maybe it depends on the HRT that your given? Also my consultant advised because of my age that I would need the HRT to prevent osteoporosis and that starting now will help things to settle better after the op

PollyPerky Sat 09-Apr-16 14:48:33

But won't the HRT cancel out the effects of Prostap? The point of Prostap is to thin the womb lining and shut down the ovaries before an operation. HRT will stimulate the lining .

Which type of HRT are you using and what dose?

MyUsernameDoesntHaveNumbers Sat 09-Apr-16 17:51:51

That's what I was told Polly.
I have been told that I will need HRT after hysterectomy as I am only 40.

Victoria2602 Sat 09-Apr-16 18:23:52

I wasn't told that. I've just been for my pre assessment and was told not to stop taking HRT before the op and to bring to the hospital with me. I have no menopausal symtoms and have been on HRT since 10 days after the 1st injection. I have the estrogel pump that I use 2 pumps once a day. I'm 37.

PollyPerky Sat 09-Apr-16 18:30:11

I really don't understand that Victoria. I've been on Oestrogel for 7 years but also use progesterone (as you have to if you have a womb) as well. Without it the lining builds up. Your lining will be building up even though the injections will be stopping ovulation. If you aren't having natural periods then what's happening to the lining? Presumably, as they are removing your uterus they are not concerned about the lining building up and are more concerned about stopping ovulation???. But then the Pill could do that. I think I'd query it if I were you, just out of curiosity!

Victoria2602 Sat 09-Apr-16 18:37:22

Thanks for the advice. I have the consultant again on Friday and I'll definitely be asking. I was never told the 2 couldn't be used together. I was put on a trial for 3 months to see if it was a hysterectomy I needed and then due to waiting times I got another 2 but I'm due my op now in 7 weeks. It could maybe be to do with the varicose veins cause they are a nightmare sad Roll on Friday now cause I'm curious

PollyPerky Sat 09-Apr-16 19:09:30

Yes do ask. I'm not a medical expert by any means but have read about Prostap and know someone who used it for several months pre a different op - not ovary removal.
I'm sorry you have low mood. my guess is that it's because the 2 pumps of gel aren't enough for you at your age and as you've been plunged into menopause. I use 2 pumps, am much older and obviously a natural meno is more gradual.

Victoria2602 Sat 09-Apr-16 19:23:57

Thanks for you help I will have a great list of questions for my consultant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now