Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Thick, ragged womb lining

(8 Posts)
biddy53 Fri 25-Mar-16 11:34:23

I have had 9 months without periods and then having been bleeding since February. A blood test confirmed I was menopausal and also anaemic amongst other things.

I've a vaginal ultrasound today and was told that the lining was thick and ragged and that I should go back to my GP to discuss options. Any advice on what I should be asking.

PollyPerky Fri 25-Mar-16 12:52:39

Sorry you have been worried by someone giving you only half the story- it's not really on is it to give someone 'bad news' and not explain what's what.

To be honest, not sure why your GP referrred you for a can. The 'rule' is if there is post menopausal bleeding then investigate. But you aren't post menopausal! Post meno is 12 months without any periods- many women got 11 months and then have a period. So 9 months then a heavy period is very normal. The fact you are still bleeding is likely to be due to low progesterone and having cycles that are incomplete - without ovulation - so the lining builds up then suddenly breaks down when it gets very thick. This is normal during peri. Ignore the blood tests- they aren't accurate as they only show your hormones on that day- the next day they might be completely different.

A thick lining during peri meno is very normal. There was no need for a scan. I'm talking from experience as I've had lots of scans- not for the same reason as you- and I've had the opportunity to discuss results in details (private appts.)

Your GP can give you a course of Norethisterone - a progestogen- to thin the lining and then you will 'start again' with a thin lining and maybe another period at some point.

You might also want to think about the Mirena coil which will prevent bleeding altogether and is often suggested for heavy irregular bleeding during peri.

biddy53 Fri 25-Mar-16 14:39:14

Thank you polly for a really helpful reply

SirVixofVixHall Tue 05-Apr-16 22:59:26

Thank you Polly from me too. I've also been bleeding since Feb. GP sent me for a scan. they also had me down for a hystersocopy, but I refused to have one done, as there seemed no reason to biopsy. My lining was 6.1 mm, but otherwise fine and I haven't had any gaps with no periods yet. I am now on some natural progesterone and am hoping that will help, I'm still bleeding but it isn't the horrendous flooding that it was a few weeks ago.

PollyPerky Wed 06-Apr-16 08:02:52

I looked all of this up some time ago when I had spotting (on HRT) and investigations, and the lining can be as thick as 10-15mm in women who are still having periods and not post menopausal. Even in women post meno who are using HRT they 'allow' it to be up to around 10mm without getting too worried.

What do you mean by 'natural progesterone' - is this prescribed Utrogestan? If it's cream you are buying, it doesn't work , as it can't be converted into the type of progesterone that the uterus needs.

SirVixofVixHall Thu 07-Apr-16 23:47:59

I have been prescribed it, by the Marion Gluck clinic, its a bio-identical cream, so a dose specific to me. Am hoping it will help resolve the bleeding.

PollyPerky Fri 08-Apr-16 08:01:22

Not entirely convinced about a dose just for you- many consultants poo-poo this- Nick Panay for example- and say that hormones change hourly so it's impossible to tailor the dose.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 08-Apr-16 12:41:21

Yes, I'm sure that is roughly true, as with thyroxine for instance, it is impossible to replicate the natural hormonal patterns. Probably better than a one-size-fits-all approach though. I've been mulling over seeing NP/ Michael Dooley as things progress, to get a different opinion. Although i am happy with MG.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now