Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Telephone consult with GP tomorrow re: blood tests. What do I need to know, ask?

(7 Posts)
RingUpRingRingDown Wed 23-Mar-16 16:35:24

I've had two sets of blood tests, several weeks apart, to see if I am menopausal. No periods for 7 months now, and only a handful in the last couple of years. Some hot flushes at night too.

The GP wants to have a phone consultation tomorrow. I don't know what I should be asking or what I might want her to tell me. I wasn't really ready for this yet and feel quite ignorant about anything to do with the menopause. 😳

I'm 43 so it is early, but not that early. I had chemo 3 years ago which can bring it forward, I think.

PollyPerky Wed 23-Mar-16 17:44:32

Have a search on this website which is a support group for women with early menopause www.daisynetwork.org.uk
There are some medical facts etc on the site.

Your GP should lead the conversation by explaining what the tests show. Basically, the 2 tests are for ovarian function and include your FSH and LH levels. Presumably these were done on days 2-5 , then post day 14 of your cycles?

You might like to ask what treatment your GP suggests if you are in peri meno now. They ought to recommend HRT as this is what the NICE guidelines suggest. There is bound to be lots online, so have a google and read before your chat. Hope it goes well. flowers

RingUpRingRingDown Wed 23-Mar-16 19:01:14

Thank you.

Blood tests were done on random days 6 weeks apart. Because I no longer seem to have periods we couldn't go for particular points in my cycle!

LH 21.9
FSH 69.1

PollyPerky Wed 23-Mar-16 19:41:58

From the Daisy site...

If you have not already been diagnosed and are concerned, your GP can offer a blood tests to measure your level of Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH).

FSH levels above 30 iu/l (international units per litre of blood) are an indicator that the ovaries are failing and menopause is approaching or has happened. However, levels can fluctuate significantly in the early stages of POI. It is also important to ensure that the blood tests are correctly timed – during day 2-5 of your period if you are still having cycles or any time if you do not have any periods. Measuring the estrogen level (estradiol) at the same time can aid interpretation of the FSH result – a very high estradiol will suppress the FSH and make it appear normal when it may in fact have been raised if the estradiol was not so high.

There is no universally agreed threshold for the diagnosis of POI but most experts would agree that two correctly timed FSH levels of over 30 at least 4 weeks apart in combination with either absent or irregular periods provides the diagnosis.

The usual level of day 2-5 FSH for a woman who is premenopausal is 10 iu/l or less. Levels between 11 – 29 (and even levels approaching 10 in very young women) while not diagnostic of POI are not normal This generally means that the ovaries are not functioning properly and POI will happen. The term incipient ovarian failure is sometimes used for than FSH of 11-29 or fluctuating levels.

HPandBaconSandwiches Wed 23-Mar-16 21:23:02

I don't have anything useful but wanted to send sympathy. I'm 40 and have just had bloods done - LH30.1, FSH 36.4. Need to have another test done and the HRT chat I suppose but really don't know whether to take it or not. Feel far too young for all this. Has taken a few years to figure out what was going on! Bit rubbish isn't it.

Hope you get some useful answers from your GP.

PollyPerky Wed 23-Mar-16 21:35:53

Taking HRT is really essential. It's the medical advice from NICE. Without it you risk osteoporosis in 10-15 years and heart disease in your 60s. Oestrogen into the 50s ( average meno) protects. It's a bit like a diabetic saying they don't want insulin or someone refusing thyroxine. You need it for long term health.
I saw 2 old ladies in the supermarket today- bent right over with osteoporosis of the spine. I immediately though that's what happened to women with early menopause when HRT wasn't available.

RingUpRingRingDown Thu 24-Mar-16 12:35:43

So, the GP recommends that I take the combined pill rather than HRT. She says it will achieve the same result with the added bonus of being a contraceptive.

Feel a bit unsure about this. I've tried a few types of pill in the past and none agreed with me (made me grumpy and put on weight).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now