Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

25 months and then a period

(12 Posts)
Pebbles16 Mon 21-Mar-16 21:12:57

argh! Was feeling relieved that I'd got through it with only slight mentalness (my words), occasional night sweats and a general lack of temperature control. However, this weekend I had an old clotty bleed (sorry if tmi). Does this mean I'm back in period land? I really don't want to go to the GP about it. I don't feel unwell. I'm just a bit sad that I have to start counting all over again. I'm 46.

PollyPerky Mon 21-Mar-16 22:41:17

Oh dear! The 'rule' is that you are post menopausal after a 12 month gap without a period and any bleeding after that time should be investigated pronto - usually a scan.

But....things are a bit more complicated when you are younger . If your 'last' period was aged 44 then that was a premature/early menopause (which ought to be treated with HRT and/or you should discuss with your GP at least - NICE recommendations) so it's possible your ovaries have woken up again and are pushing out a few last eggs. So...yes you ought to see your GP to discuss early meno and this period.

Pebbles16 Tue 22-Mar-16 06:24:59

Thanks Polly

anngrimes123 Wed 23-Mar-16 23:19:42

Hello, I started to take Elleste Duet Conti 3 months ago. In the second (February 21st) month I had a little spotting, after nearly 2 years without a period. In the third month (17th March) I started a light but regular period! I am in a lot of pain and feeling sick and weepy. Just like the old days! I rang my doctor who advised me to stop taking the tablets and is booking me in for a scan in a couple of weeks. My pack of tablets are all white with no start date. I'm confused about why I started bleeding again and my doctor was so busy she said she'd have a chat with me when I go for the results of the scan. I took another Elleste tonight after stopping for 2 days because I felt it was a bit extreme to stop immediately I.e. Cold turkey! Can anyone help explain why I've started bleeding again. I thought theses tablets were for women who didn't have periods anymore. Thank you. Confused as you can read!

PollyPerky Thu 24-Mar-16 10:12:08

annJust a tip- you might get more replies by starting your own thread because you've posted under a thread about something different.

I despair at GPs, I really do. It is REALLY well known that any conti HRT often causes irregular bleeding for the first 6 months. It may even be on the advice leaflet in the pack. There is probably no need for a scan but your GP needs to get up to speed with the types of HRT.

This is from www.menopausematters.co.uk HRT- for postmenopause

POST MENOPAUSAL -
Continuous combined therapies.

"Period free" or continuous combined therapy can be used by women who are 54 + yrs, or more than 1 yr post menopausal at any age. The criteria should be fulfilled in order to offer such treatment to women who no longer have a continuing ovarian cycle, so that steady levels of both estrogen and progestogen can be achieved. When there are steady levels of estrogen and progestogen from daily administration of both, the womb lining stays thin. Although some bleeding in the first 6 months of therapy is common, there should not be bleeding after that and the lining does not go through the stages of stimulation and then shedding as it does during a normal cycle and with sequential therapy. Start with low dose preparations and increase as necessary for symptom control. The products marked * are licensed for osteoporosis treatment/prevention.

Snog Tue 05-Apr-16 22:17:17

Argh this is me too, just had a small bleed and cramping after 27 months. I'm 48.
I'm gonna have to get horrid hospital tests done aren't I?

PollyPerky Wed 06-Apr-16 08:05:26

Yes.
But the tests aren't really horrid. They ought to start with a scan which is fine, certainly less discomfort than a smear, and then take it from there depending what they see. TBH if your periods stopped at 46 that it very early for menopause so the fact they've started again is probably 'normal' - it's not quite so worrying as someone who has a bleed at 58 after maybe 4 years without.

Snog Wed 06-Apr-16 12:14:47

Thanks PollyPerky, I'm seeing my doctor today and you have made me feel better about it thanks

PollyPerky Wed 06-Apr-16 18:21:08

Hope you've got on okay! Report back?

Snog Wed 06-Apr-16 18:31:52

Ok, I'm back! My GP thinks it's just another period, has asked for a blood test and says as long as the bleeding lasts no longer than seven days he considers it is just a normal period. If I don't stop bleeding I need to come back for an internal exam.
He did ask if the bleeding started after sex, which wasn't the case. I'm a bit surprised he didn't make more fuss over it tbh.
I am wondering if my periods stopped early due to stress as they stopped 27 months ago coinciding with my burnout/breakdown and wondering if I haven't truly had my proper menopause...although I have had hot flashes for a couple of years but interestingly not for the past couple of weeks. I've not worked for 15 months so stress levels have fallen considerably, maybe my body is just going back to normal?
Mysterious.

PollyPerky Wed 06-Apr-16 19:42:28

all sounds very positive.
It's quite likely that your stress levels had something to do with it all.

Snog Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:16

Thanks for the hand holding, I really appreciated it thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now