Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Tender boobs

(13 Posts)
Drinksforeveryone Wed 16-Mar-16 09:14:06

Is this a peri menopause thing ?

I am 48 and so far no real symptoms. My periods have started to slightly veer away from the rigid 28 day cycle - but no other real signs.

My boobs feel so tender. I am not huge, but they seem to be filling out my bras too well. It feels like the pre period boob tenderness.

Doubt that I am pregnant bloody hope not .

I suppose if it is one of the 'things' of menopause then there is nothing I can do about it really - but just be interested to know others' experiences of this.

FFTransform Sat 09-Apr-16 05:35:12

Bumping this one as I was here with the same question!

PollyPerky Sat 09-Apr-16 09:42:31

Evidently all PMS symptoms get worse as we go into peri. So sore boobs can be part of that. I think I read it's to do with low progesterone during the 2nd half of the cycle. Diet is supposed to help- especially things like cutting right back on salt.

FFTransform Sun 10-Apr-16 05:54:50

Thanks polly

SKYTVADDICT Sun 10-Apr-16 23:35:23

I could have/thought I had written this 😂. I too am 48 and have had extremely sore boobs for about 3 days! Have been googling like mad and sadly it appears to be a peri-menopause sympton! I am not impressed 😢

FFTransform Mon 11-Apr-16 04:20:50

I am only in my early 40s! I seem to be going straight from baby brain to menopause memory! For the last 4/5 months have had about 3 days a month of excruciatingly tender breasts - which is not very much fun with the bouncy cuddly small children I have . . .

treaclesoda Mon 11-Apr-16 04:31:30

I'm only 40 and I have noticed over the past couple of months that I get horribly tender painful boobs before my period, something that I've never suffered from before. I was guessing that it must be the beginning of the pre menopause years.

PollyPerky Mon 11-Apr-16 09:01:45

Not necessarily treacle. I had tender nipples all my fertile life as part of PMS (in the 2nd half of each month) - the day they stopped hurting was the day the bleeding would start each month, like clockwork.
I didn't notice is getting any worse during peri and I had a relatively late-ish menopause at 53-54.
It will be a hormonal shift, but not necessarily peri men- you're a bit too young for that, unless you go on to have an early menopause (before 45.)

elfofftheshelf Mon 11-Apr-16 11:13:17

I could have written this too! I'm 43 and seem to be spending about 2 weeks a month with extremely sore, swollen boobs. I look like I've had a boob job which would be great if they weren't so painful. I had blood tests earlier in the year with no indication of menopause, but Dr said it's diff to pinpoint at the early stages, so could well be pre-menopause. I used to get sore boobs a week or so before my period was due, but this is completely different. Way more swelling and way more painful. Not fun at all. It really affects my mood as I feel the ache with every movement.

treaclesoda Mon 11-Apr-16 15:42:17

Polly that's good to know. Maybe not such a strange symptom after all then.

Drinksforeveryone Thu 21-Apr-16 07:32:32

I had forgotten that I started this thread!

Thanks for all replies. It's good to see it's not unusual.

Still the same here - about two weeks out of four my boobs are definitely more plumped up. also as Polly says they stop hurting the day that my period commences.

Savagebeauty Thu 21-Apr-16 07:34:06

I'm 56 and on HRT and get very swollen breasts when I have my monthly bleed.

Lifeisontheup2 Thu 21-Apr-16 07:51:28

I had this when I was late 40s despite never having it before. Even putting in a t shirt was incredibly painful, it felt like my boobs were bruised and was generally (although not always) followed by a period
I'm now 51 and don't get it any more., it lasted about a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now