Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

is this normal

(5 Posts)
Samcro Fri 11-Mar-16 23:26:36

I have the mirena fitted and I was so excited as I thought I was so over the big M but every month I have spotting. no real period... just a day of spotting. will I ever get to the year free?
I am nearly 55 surely there is no way I can get pregnant?
(I have been with same man for 30 odd years if that helps)

PollyPerky Sat 12-Mar-16 10:28:38

How long has it been in place?
Is there any chance it's past its use-by date ( 4 -5 years)?

It's highly unlikely and nigh impossible you will conceive at 55.

What do you want to do? I think you ought to talk to your dr because in many women they have no bleeding at all with the Mirena. Have you had other menopausal symptoms? I'm not sure why you say you were excited and thought you were over the menopause because if you have had no symptoms then you aren't likely to be!

Is the spotting happening at the same time every month? eg every 28-30 days?

Samcro Mon 14-Mar-16 22:27:25

i have had symptoms, but the mirena masks a lot of the, which is why I was advised to keep it. I am ok for another year with current one(no way am I having another one)
I think my question was confusing really.
what I meant was does spotting=period?

PollyPerky Tue 15-Mar-16 08:49:03

I'm surprised that having the Mirena masks some of your symptoms because it's usually progestogens that cause some of the nasty side effects in a lot of us when using HRT (you know the Mirena can be used as part of HRT along with a separate oestrogen?)
I was offered the Mirena along with a separate oestrogen but turned it down as I didn't want continuous progestogens as I suffer side effects from them.

I don't think it's possible to answer your question because you really need an ultrasound scan to see what is going on. There could be many reasons for occasional bleeding, such as a polyp, a cervical erosion or a period. If it's at the same time every month then it sounds like a period, but I think you ought to tell your GP and ask to be scanned so they can see the thickness of the lining and what's going on. You see, a lining that is too thin can also cause bleeding because it's atrophied- so if you are post menopause, the Mirena may not be necessary anyway and actually causing problems.

Samcro Tue 15-Mar-16 09:24:51

thanks, i will go see doc after school break(dd sn home for 3 weeks)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now