Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Poor short term memory and word confusion - is this menopause related?

(15 Posts)
onlywhenyouleave Sat 05-Mar-16 13:21:20

I am 41.

I have noticed over the last 12 months that my short term memory has deteriorated (can remember trivia from years ago but struggle to remember something that a colleague discussed with me yesterday). I am very conscious of it and have stepped up my organisation to try and combat it (take loads of notes, to do lists etc). My memory has always been great so it is noticeable.

I have also noticed that I often use the wrong words frequently - I know what I want to say but the wrong word comes out (think saying funeral instead of wedding, saying someone's surname instead of forename for example). I realise as soon as I have done it and correct myself but am shocked at the frequency it is happening.

Are these symptoms of pre-menopause, middle age or something more sinister?

PollyPerky Sat 05-Mar-16 14:30:48

It's not sounding like meno tbh.
And you are too young at 41 unless you have other symptoms! Maybe go and see your GP?

onlywhenyouleave Sat 05-Mar-16 14:40:08

Thanks. I have read about the pre-menopause phase lasting upto 10 years prior to the actual menopause so wondered if it was the start of that.

AgentProvocateur Sat 05-Mar-16 14:57:41

Yes! I was at the GP this week for exactly this. I am 50, so a bit older than you, but she said its nothing to worry about. I have a very busy life and stressful job, and she said its a combination of this and getting older.

TurboTheChicken Sat 05-Mar-16 15:07:20

I am with you OP, I'm 43 and have always believed myself to be fairly mentally alert but in the last year or so nothing stays in my head for more than 8 minutes.

My main problem seems to be remembering start times of things like Beavers/swimming lessons even though they are the same week after week. I'm reliant on my phone calendar.

Tragically I've downloaded a brain training app as I thought that might be better than Mumsnetting or Candy Crush!

I am definitely on the menopause merry-go-round.

lljkk Sat 05-Mar-16 15:09:35

I've had OP's symptoms for yrs now. I call it "getting older".
I can remember very clearly many dozey moments when I was a teenager or 20-something too. So am just grateful I ever had so many yrs of relief from my inherently ditzy self.

BosomySusan Sat 05-Mar-16 15:12:36

I feel like I mention this all the time on here, but 'losing' words and inability to focus is also a symptom of b12 deficiency. I'm the same age as you and had put it down to aging and a very busy life, turned out I actually have pernicious anaemia. Worth checking, especially if you have any other symptoms.

ABetaDad1 Sat 05-Mar-16 15:13:11

Have you got any other health symptoms?

I get these problems with fibromyalgia - I am part of a hobby group and teach people and run the group and am sometimes forget what I am saying half way through a sentence - but they are lovely people and complete the sentences for me. grin

Nospringflower Sat 05-Mar-16 15:25:27

I think it can be hard to separate out forgetting things / mixing words up due to lack of concentration due to busy lives / stress etc versus something needing investigated. You will always get people saying 'I'm like that too' because they are - I am! But, sometimes memory problems are due to physical health issues. You will know if you are busy/have too much to focus on or not. If not I would see the GP and see what they suggest?

onlywhenyouleave Sat 05-Mar-16 16:03:05

Thank you all for making me a feel a bit better. And yy to also forgetting where I am going with a sentence halfway through it.

I will Google vitamin b12 deficiency and see if it rings any bells but I am generally healthy. I am always tired but I have always liked to sleep and put it down to working 4 days a week, having a DH that works away a lot and having 2 DC who do several evening activities so I rarely get 'downtime' when I finish work or time without the DC around in an evening as they often don't go to bed till 9!

I also used to exercise a lot (used to go or gym 4-5 times a week) but that had had to stop due to the DC needing taking in different places sad I think the lack of exercise had had a bigger impact on me than just the inevitable weight gain!

And to a pp, I have also downloaded a brain training app to try and improve the situation.

PollyPerky Sat 05-Mar-16 16:06:49

I don't agree tbh!
At 41 you are still really young. My parents who are 90 are forgetful like you describe but it's not 'normal' to substitute words etc and blame it on meno. Yes, peri meno can last 10 years but that would include very small changes to your cycle from maybe 30 days to 28, then 28 to 26 etc over a number of years, then longer gaps between periods etc. Any symptoms at 41 would be classed as premature menopause if your periods stopped before 45. And the advised treatment is HRT up to 52 at least.
There can be other reasons for what you are experiencing, and some of them could be serious, so I think you ought to see your GP. Do you keep your brain active? All the advice about preventing dementia etc is to keep the brain active by learning new things and also taking exercise.

onlywhenyouleave Sat 05-Mar-16 16:14:40

Well my periods are all over the place (my last cycle was 52 days for example).

I have taken on 2 new jobs over the last 12 months (a 10-month project and then a promotion from my normal role) so have had to learn a lot quickly which may have had an impact??

megletthesecond Sat 05-Mar-16 16:23:49

I've had this for 3yrs now. I'd like to say lists help but I forgot to write then or to check them sad. Personally I think I'm peri-meno, I had a hysterectomy 7yrs ago which can apparently bring it forward a bit. But I'm a total lp and don't really sleep so it's possibly just exhaustion and stress.

It's hard at work and I keep my head down because I simply don't have the mental capacity to take more on. I take vits, exercise and eat really well so it's unlikely to be a deficiency.

PollyPerky Sat 05-Mar-16 16:49:49

only you need to see your GP if that's the case. Have a look at Daisy Network for info on the tests you need for an early menopause.

BosomySusan Sat 05-Mar-16 16:54:43

meglet just to note with pernicious anaemia, it's an autoimmune disease which destroys your ability to absorb b12, so someone with a healthy diet could take as many vitamins as they liked and it wouldn't make any difference. Not saying that's what you have, just that deficiencies can have more causes than just a poor diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now