Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I might scratch off my itchy nipples!

(10 Posts)
PutDownThatLaptop Fri 04-Mar-16 22:07:35

I am 45 and my nipples have developed a raging itch. I feel like scratching them off. Is this normal to be so itchy? Periods still heavy but slightly closer together.

PollyPerky Sat 05-Mar-16 14:29:30

Itchy skin all over is a meno symptom - it's called formication ( careful of typos here!) but it's more like ants crawling on the skin. My gran evidently used to complain of it according to my mum.

But if it continues you ought to see your GP. Itchy nipples or breasts where there is a rash can be a sign of breast cancer, so keep an eye on this.

PutDownThatLaptop Sat 05-Mar-16 14:52:37

I thought it would need to be just one nipple for breast cancer?

lljkk Sat 05-Mar-16 14:59:00

There is a liver condition associated with persistent fatigue and itching, too. Main people who get it are middle aged women. PBC.

Perfectlypurple Sat 05-Mar-16 15:01:11

I itch all over, and sure it is the start of the menopause. It drives me mad. I can't sleep because of it. I should go to the doctor really.

lljkk Sat 05-Mar-16 15:05:06

yes you should go, especially if it's driving you batty.. because as link I just posted shows, menopause may not be reason at all.

PollyPerky Sat 05-Mar-16 16:08:57

It would I assume be both breasts if it were cancer but I'd still be 'breast aware'. Is it anything 'obvious' like a new bra, change in washing powders, sweating more or a skin condition like eczema?

PutDownThatLaptop Sun 06-Mar-16 08:00:08

It is both nipples and it varies throughout the monthly cycle. My legs also itch madly below the knee but that is every day. Nothing seems to help with either issue.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 06-Mar-16 21:14:14

I was bothered by this for several months, in my case I realised that it was caused by washing my hair whilst in the shower.
Have to faff around now bending over shower to wash hair, but itching has gone.

PutDownThatLaptop Sun 06-Mar-16 21:53:55

Wow that's a thing I never considered, I will try that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now