Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Menopause or lazyitis?

(8 Posts)
JeremyZackHunt Sun 28-Feb-16 15:10:38

I'm about to turn 46 and I had an endometrial ablation a few years back when my previously sensible AF turned into Niagra Falls. Since then have been blissfully AF free.
Am on ADs for anxiety and blood pressure tablets for recent high BP.

All of which has probably masked any peri symptoms. I have got stout and forgetful though.

In the last few months I am tired beyond belief. I nap whenever I can and sleep like a dopey teenager. The last time I slept like this was in early pregnancy. I slept for 9 hours on Friday night, had a 2 hour nap and then slept for 10 hours last night. I don't feel ill.

Do you think this could be a symptom? If so, should I be taking a supplement or seeing the GP?

All thoughts appreciated smile

notagiraffe Sun 28-Feb-16 16:19:15

Sympathy (but no insight!)

I've developed similar symptoms at a similar time in life. Sleeping at least as much as that, weight gain and forgetfulness. I don't know if it's peri menopause or AD side effects, or if the need for ADs is in itself a side effect of peri menopause. They all seem linked but there's very little information or knowledge on the subject. Wish I knew. I'm now 51 and the symptoms are all still there.

PollyPerky Sun 28-Feb-16 16:36:49

Have you thought about implementing some lifestyle changes to help ALL the symptoms? Anxiety, weight gain and high BP can are often the result of doing not enough exercise ( 45 mins brisk walking a day would be enough) and not eating healthily. Apologies if you are doing all the right stuff, but if not, your body may be telling you to make some changes.
NICE has advised GPs not to give ADs for anxiety in peri or for depression unless the patient is clinically diagnosed as depressed.

lljkk Sun 28-Feb-16 17:26:23

Can fatigue be a side effect of the meds you're already on?
Exercise can be a terrific mood lifter & energiser, for sure, too.

JeremyZackHunt Sun 28-Feb-16 22:50:48

Thx for replies. I've been on the ADs for a while so I don't think it's those. BP tablets pre date the extreme tiredness too I think.
My diet is reasonably good I think. Plenty of veg, tofu, etc and hasn't changed really. I don't do a lot of exercise because I hate it but I do have a life that involves primary aged dc, walking to school, going to the park, swimming etc.
I've got some magnesium, calcium & D bits so we'll see if that helps.

notagiraffe Wed 02-Mar-16 10:14:34

Polly your post really interested me. Didn't know that about anxiety and lack of exercise. Do you have any links to info on it? Also really intrigued by your comment about NICE recommendations and ADs in peri menopause. At least 50% of my friends are on ADs having not suffered depression before, and they are all perimenopausal.

PollyPerky Wed 02-Mar-16 11:29:44

If you go to the Menopause Matters page (HOME page) there are links to the NICE guidelines.Or just google - it's easy to find.
I've linked to it loads on this forum so you can also search for it. This is one extract

Psychological symptoms

1.4.5 Consider HRT to alleviate low mood that arises as a result of the menopause.

1.4.6 Consider CBT to alleviate low mood or anxiety that arise as a result of the menopause.

1.4.7 Ensure that menopausal women and healthcare professionals involved in their care understand that there is no clear evidence for SSRIs or SNRIs to ease low mood in menopausal women who have not been diagnosed with depression (see the NICE guideline on depression in adults).

PollyPerky Wed 02-Mar-16 11:30:24

If you go to the website MIND there is plenty of evidence about how exercise helps mood and depression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now