Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Any anecdotal advice on when to stop contraception?

(7 Posts)
whatevva Fri 15-Jan-16 12:40:28

I know you are supposed to use something for one year after your periods stop (or 2 years under 50 )

But I don't know if they have stopped (on sequential hrt). We started using condoms as a stop-gap thinking it was only a formality until I was sure my periods had stopped. Fed up with them.

PollyPerky Fri 15-Jan-16 18:22:02

It's a worry isn't it?
I don't know. How long on HRT and what were your periods like before you started it?
I carried on with contraception to age 54 because I had periods up to just over age 53 and some light bleeding at 54 which may have been a period (or HRT linked.) I decided that conception at 54 would be pretty unlikely, but I'd certainly not risk it before 52.

whatevva Fri 15-Jan-16 20:12:09

Yep - I am just brassed off with it. I wish I had taken up the Mirena/patch idea after all at the moment.

I came off the pill at 49, had 5 months without periods, went on to have loads for 18mths, then have been on hrt for over 18mths now - which brings me to 52 1/2 grin.

People would laugh at me if I was trying to get pregnant!

Just wondering how other people cope (the ones whose DH did not have the snip!!!)

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:31:31

I think the oldest natural conception in the UK is 53.
As I am not quite that age, not far off though and last period was 10 months ago perhaps I should be more careful......

whatevva Fri 15-Jan-16 20:50:01

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_over_age_50

There are some pretty amazing over 50 births listed here - but you have to sift through the IVF/donor ones first. Dawn Brooke was 59 and on hrt shock

PollyPerky Fri 15-Jan-16 21:24:15

TBH I think a lot of women just take the chance! There seems to be an opinion amongst some women that once you are around 48 and above you won't get PG. It's not likely but by no means impossible and I've read that sometimes the ovaries go into overdrive to push out those last few eggs so you end up quite fertile before the very end!

If you plan to carry on with HRT for a long time, is it worth thinking about the Mirena now with gel or a patch?

whatevva Fri 15-Jan-16 21:31:13

I suspect that the chances of winning the lottery are way higher - maybe I should buy a ticket.

The biggest risk is accidently conceiving, then all the subsequent complications that go with it, rather than getting stuck with a baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now