Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Night sweats

(7 Posts)
Itisbetternow Mon 28-Dec-15 22:37:45

I am 51 and am suffering terrible night sweats. I wake up dripping in sweat. I am in the mini pill as was still getting periods six months ago. What are my next steps - is it worth seeing GP about the sweats as it is hugely embarrassing as I'm in a fairly new relationship.

PollyPerky Mon 28-Dec-15 23:10:40

HRT is the answer so see your GP.
You might want to go down the supplements/ herbs routes as some women do but no guarantee or research to show they work, so you could spend ages and £££s looking for success that way.
Have a read of the www.menopausematters.co.uk website for loads of info on HRT and alternatives.

Itisbetternow Tue 29-Dec-15 09:39:12

Thank you.

anniesequira Thu 07-Jan-16 10:13:28

Menopause is not a disease that has a definitive cure or treatment. Health care practitioners, however, can offer a variety of treatments for hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms like night sweats , that become bothersome. Many prescription medications exist to prevent and control high cholesterol and bone loss, which can occur at menopause. Some women do not need therapy, or they may choose not to take medications at all during their menopausal years.For instant relief one can use the rapid cool spray that gives immediate relief : physicool.ca/

JapanNextYear Thu 07-Jan-16 11:39:47

Hi. I had dreadful night sweats, they have reduced since going on the pill as a form of HRT (Qlaira in my case) and also I take Menopace which I think does help.

It's down from pretty much every night to a couple of times a month. I also bought a wool duvet which helped and a lot of people find reducing caffeine, alcohol and spicy food helps too. I didn't so much!

But go and see your GP and see what the options are.

whatevva Thu 07-Jan-16 12:11:35

You could try Qlaira as above, or Mirena for the progestogen/contraceptive side and an oestrogen gel or patch in whatever quantity was required to relieve the sweats. The latter is the most flexible and will keep you good for 4 years when the mirena will need changing.

Other forms of hrt will need a 3 month trial, then 'try something else/adjust it' approach until it fits. You will also need to use other contraception until you are sure you don't need it - which is difficult to tell on hrt.

I had night sweats for many years without realising what it was all about and the only way I found was to:

a. keep the room temperature even - not too hot and not too cold so that you can stick bits out of the covers to cool down without them getting too cold, covering them and overheating again.

b. use a light duvet for the same reasons. I ended up with a soft washable microfiber one. I use a thin quilt over the feet to adjust for cold weather. The worst combination is a freezing room and a thick duvet.

c. Absorbent cotton jersey night dresses with low back for cooling purposes. Spare ones by the bed for when they get soaked and towel to sleep on if you can't get back into a cold wet bed shock

d. Drink plenty of water and keep a glass by the bed for night-time cooling/replacement of fluids. Drinking more water does not necessarily lead to weeing less in the night - something I learned after having a kidney stone and drinking more.

Drinking alcohol, eating curry, drinking coffee sometimes leads to more night sweats and sometimes doesn't. Best not to overdo it, but total abstinence will not stop it either. Also, your new partner will have to love you enough to kiss a slightly damp person each morning.

I wish I had given the mirena and estrogel a go, but was too squeamish about the coil thing at the time.

Itisbetternow Sat 09-Jan-16 08:51:26

Thank you. I'm finding it all quite difficult. My STBCH of 20 years had an affair and is now expecting a baby with the much younger OW. So I feel quite abandoned and now to be starting the menopause is like someone hasn't quite finished punishing me yet. Still I've met a nice man after 4 years of being on my own. My fear is that he wil say Sod this lark. Off to the GP I must go .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now