Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

5HTP help with sleep ?

(4 Posts)
rainbowjoy Mon 07-Dec-15 17:35:50

I'm coping ok with most of the menopause symptoms but just struggling with sleep or staying asleep. On average wake at 1am, 3 am and then 5 if I'm lucky I can get back to sleep. I'm not feeling particularly sleep deprived during the day just tired. Has anyone tried 5-htp to help with sleep. I get very anxious about sleep and occasionally suffer insomnia if I'm not in my bed and routine. Im going on holiday soon and although am not a nervous flyer I really struggle to sleep the night before and the first couple of nights away which ruins the start of the holiday. I would like to hear anyone's experience of 5-htp both good or bad. Thanks

PollyPerky Tue 08-Dec-15 08:37:27

what is 5HTP? (saves me googling!)

LilyRose88 Fri 11-Dec-15 15:33:35

Weirdly I found that 5HTP stopped me from sleeping. It made me a bit hyper and twitchy and I think I got a mild dose of serotonin syndrome. I was fine when I stopped taking it. I have started taking Valerian at night and that has helped me a lot. You can buy it in Holland and Barrett but I got my from Amazon.

Ifiwasabadger Tue 15-Dec-15 07:14:09

i'm not menopausal but started on 5HTP for mood lifting about 3 weeks ago. the other day i realised that o've been sleeping so much better - the only thing that has changed in my life has been the 5HTP.

i've been a chronic insomniac for years - can't drop off, if i wake up, can't get back off....this has sorted that. so hopefully it could help you. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now