Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

The never ending period

(6 Posts)
sothisisit Thu 03-Dec-15 09:52:31

I am peri-menopausal. Periods have been all over the place for the last year. I'm 50. Last month period was here for 3 weeks, went away for 7 days, back again this month for another 3 weeks, stopped, back for 2 days, gone again. It varies from heavy, normal, very light, panty-liner worth.
It's driving me crazy and I now wear sanitary protection every day as I have no idea what will happen on a daily basis.
Since my cycles are completely haywire now is this an indication I am nearing a big change (praying hands emoji)
Or do I just accept I will be wearing panty liners for years to come.

AlpacaLypse Thu 03-Dec-15 09:59:26

I'm fifty too and they've been a bit bonkers for a while now. My lovely lovely GP prescribed Tranexamic acid, which at least makes them much lighter (I was actually losing so much blood I became anaemic), but does bugger all to control frequency.

Usually they're about 25 days apart, but currently on day 29 and nothing yet...

Really is worth seeing GP if you haven't already - there are things that can help!

sothisisit Thu 03-Dec-15 10:07:16

I take tranexamic acid too (anaemic too), but my periods are so varied blood flow wise it's hard to know when to take them now. The last 6 months or so it's been 19/40/26/11 day cycles.
Lately though constant seems to be the new norm hmm

Preciousxbane Thu 03-Dec-15 10:15:25

I had a period with only a few days between bleeding foe almost a year but it was very light. I ended up having my cervix cauterised. The nurse recoiled when she looked up there because I had the most cysts she had ever seen, she then got another nurse to have a look at this amazing spectacle hmm.

Has anyone actually had a look.

Indantherene Thu 03-Dec-15 10:59:21

I was having the same problem. GP put me on Norethisterone which I take for 10 days a month. Has stopped the constant bleeding.

wannabestressfree Thu 03-Dec-15 11:17:09

I am on transemic acid too as have had a period for seven months now.....bleeding constantly and costing me a fortune in snowboard size sanitary towels. Am only 37.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now