Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Pubic hair and HRT..

(7 Posts)
EamonnHolmesisaPratt2 Tue 01-Dec-15 08:43:13

When I went off HRT I went practically bald down there , back on HRT and it was back to normal...had a hysterectomy in Sept then started back on HRT a few weeks after - now it is disappearing again ....what's happening here? Anyone else?

Whatevva Tue 01-Dec-15 14:49:57

It is a mystery. The pubes in the middle vanish and reappear further down your leg, or on your chin.

It is supposed to be the lower oestrogen.

I was told armpit hair would vanish too, but I have loads.

EamonnHolmesisaPratt2 Wed 02-Dec-15 08:57:02

Haven't had much underarm or leg hair since the birth of my son 24 years ago....hormones are a bugger ! Have actually just noticed yesterday that my head hair is now coming out badly when I wash hair and brush it..am quite worried...some say that this happens approx 3 months after a general anaesthetic and others talk about lack of testsoterone!

PollyPerky Wed 02-Dec-15 10:34:02

How is your health generally? Sometimes hair loss can be a sign of low thyroid function which is more common in women in middle age. Might it be worth asking to have this checked especially now it's happening on your head? Food that contain iodine can help thyroid function - things like kelp supplements and seafood- and sometimes the bar is set very low for 'normal' readings for thyroid. Weight loss and poor nutrition affect hair. If you find nothing 'medically' wrong then maybe a appt with a trichologist might help? Someone like Philip Kingsley has info on their website.

PollyPerky Wed 02-Dec-15 11:09:11

This might be helpful Guide to female hair loss Philip Kingsley

Whatevva Wed 02-Dec-15 11:13:07

Low iron levels can lead to head hair thinning too.

EamonnHolmesisaPratt2 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:54:12

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have made an appointment with my doc - the usual wait of 2 weeks so that gives me more time to observe the amount of hair loss.

I am going to ask him for hormone blood tests and any others he thinks I should have. When I saw a private doc to get back onto HRT due to his unwillingness to prescribe, she wanted hormone tests about 6 weeks after to check all levels. I had a hysterectomy in Sept - have seen him a couple of times since then and you know he never once asked how I was after it...they don't seem to care very much in the NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now