Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Periods gone haywire :(

(5 Posts)
LindyHemming Fri 27-Nov-15 06:50:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ivykaty44 Fri 27-Nov-15 06:58:43

I have just had two periods this year and last year had about five, so guess I'm perimenopausal. I do have moments of feeling warm but haven't started hot flushes yet.

What I was going to say was I've started having headaches so reading your post hadn't thought about it being connected with meno - but not on any medications, so was it the medication giving the headaches or the menopause?

LindyHemming Fri 27-Nov-15 07:03:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 03-Dec-15 12:16:23

Decided to clear space in my bathroom cupboard, move my sanitary protection stuff to my DD's bedroom. 24 hours later my first sort-of period since before Easter. <sigh>

Exchanging anecdotes with friends we all seem to get a false sense of, that's it - periods are finished - only to get caught out anything up to a year later. I haven't noticed headaches but a year ago was feeling tubby without any surge of appetite or lethargy. The weight settled back but recently seem to be losing more hair going by hairbrush and shower plughole. Joys of peri-menopause!!

Several friends do get headaches, one said she supposed it was hormonal and recalled the same sort when she began menstruating as a 12 yo. Have you had your bp checked lately? Are you due for an eye test?

PollyPerky Thu 03-Dec-15 15:36:48

HRT may give you migraines if you use a type with a progestogen that doesn't agree with you.

What type were you on?

You would expect to have a withdrawal bleed ( like a period) once a month on sequential HRT. In peri your own cycle can override this at times.

If your headaches coincided with the 2nd half the cycle then it's likely it was the progestogen or its withdrawal that caused that.

I tried continuous HRT as I am post meno and the daily progesterone did not suit me at all. I had a migraine, but my migraines last all day once they come and the only remedy for me is sleep in a darkened room. I've now gone back to sequential and having a bleed at a very old age is still the lesser of two evils.

Headaches often come when progesterone levels fall in the 2nd half of a cycle- either with HRT or in a natural cycle.

Does this ring any bells or help at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now