Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Irregular sleep patterns

(5 Posts)
Merguez Wed 18-Nov-15 20:54:53

Almost 52. Still having regular periods. Occasional brain fog, grumpiness, overeating, absent-mindedness e.g. turning on kettle instead of oven. All these things though are down to my poor sleeping habits. If I sleep well I am fine. So what's causing the poor sleep? Anxiety - quite a stressful job. Sometimes wake up hot & sweaty. Have periods of about 3 consecutive nights when I sleep well, then 3 nights of v. disturbed nights. Trying to see if there's a pattern linked to my cycle.
Question is - is the sleep difficulty related to peri-menopause - and treatable in some way (not sleeping tablets)?
Take moderate exercise (brisk dog walking across country fields) every day. Drink 2 cups of coffee & 2 of tea a day, drink moderately at weekends. Eat healthily - unless I am tired. But lots of fresh food, fruit, veg.
I just feel that if I sorted the sleep out everything else would follow ...
Anyone got any advice for me.

PollyPerky Thu 19-Nov-15 17:43:05

TBH it IS peri and the only thing that worked for me was HRT. I usually fall asleep in 10 seconds but during peri- at your age- I was wide awake for ages and waking several times a night. I was also having hourly hot flushes which were a PITA with work in a mixed sex environment. HRT sorted it within a week and now I still wake up at least once a night, sometimes twice, but it's better than it was. You might find the booze makes it all worse and if you do try HRT give the booze up. Even a daily glass raises the risk of breast cancer more than the very small risk with HRT so the two don't mix!

PollyPerky Thu 19-Nov-15 17:44:15

oh yes- 4 cups of drinks with caffeine is not good either. I only drink herbal tea.

Merguez Thu 19-Nov-15 19:35:17

I love my coffee and love my weekend glass of wine even more. :-(

ragged Thu 19-Nov-15 21:46:47

I tried taking iodine for some other reason & my sleep suddenly got much better. I've had odd sleep patterns most my life, though.

Anyway, iodine supplements are very cheap to try!! I avoid caffeine after 2pm too & have some but not much booze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now