Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Erm.... peeing. (TMI)

(24 Posts)
iroblonegen Mon 16-Nov-15 15:08:52

I am 44, in (self-diagnosed) perimenopause. I pee, a lot. I feel the need to pee, a lot. Sometimes I feel the need, but there isn't very much. It seems to be worse at night. During the day I can mostly ignore it but I wake several times a night, think I may as well pee and then am back off to sleep. However, having my sleep disturbed like this is not helping my mood, generally. Does anyone else have this? I have googled and it seems to be a peri symptom, something to do with decreased oestrogen levels.

TPel Mon 16-Nov-15 15:13:18

Yep. I have this too. It is a bastard.

I haven't found any solution. It makes no difference if I cut back on drinks in the evening, drink alcohol or don't - nothing. I think it is just another menopausal symptom that I have to put up with. sad

LumelaMme Mon 16-Nov-15 15:20:54

Too much caffeine? I've cut back to two cups of tea day sad but I'm not leaping out of bed like a dervish needing an urgent pee first thing in the morning any more.

HemanOrSheRa Mon 16-Nov-15 15:22:09

Yup. It's one of the long list of weird symptoms I have. Like you, I wee a lot or I get the urge to wee but hardly anything comes out when I go. Or, I go for a wee, think I've finished and then a few minutes later a little dribble comes out blush.

I had blood tests on Friday to rule anything else out but the GP agreed I am perimenopausal. Back next week for blood results and chat about HRT.

PollyPerky Mon 16-Nov-15 16:35:58

44 is quite young for this to happen but having said that you could be slowly entering peri - average age for last period is 52.

What you have described is a sign or low oestrogen unless there are other reasons.

This is a helpful article about it.

urogyn.coloradowomenshealth.com/patients/library/menopause-urinary-symptoms/

The best treatment is vaginal oestrogen cream - from your GP- so don't be shy about asking - it's very common.

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 16-Nov-15 16:42:25

Not Overactive Bladder is it? I'm on medication for this but the Doc hasn't mentioned the Meno to me (even though I'm in the throes of it).

I've had it since my daughter was about 6months old so I was probably peri, wasn't I?

suestew123 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:48:41

How about trying some pelvic floor exercises, this may help?

Donge13 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:17:10

42 and have the same problem. I'm up three times a night with this .

Shockers Mon 16-Nov-15 23:19:36

I need to wee a lot too. I think it is because I have a prolapse. Have you had your undercarriage checked OP?

Whatevva Fri 20-Nov-15 19:40:39

It might sound counter-intuitive, but you could try drinking water between your usual drinks. Make sure your urine is pale straw coloured

It stretches the bladder so it holds more, makes the urine more dilute and less irritating and seems to calm urge incontinence. I seemed to stop waking up to go in the night too.

Choose a day when you are close to a loo to try it out, though grin

Fizrim Fri 20-Nov-15 19:44:48

Heman you are not alone - I have been meaning to check with the GP and need to go about another issue shortly (medication review), I will mention it.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 20-Nov-15 20:45:29

Yes, I get this too but only in the time before period due. I'm 41 and just had blood tests to confirm I am peri.

PunkrockerGirl Fri 20-Nov-15 20:50:11

absolutely, if you don't mind me asking, did you have to have tests for your diagnosis of overactive bladder, or did the dr just go on what you were describing?
I need to go loads, especially at night, it's ridiculous!

pestilence13610 Fri 20-Nov-15 20:53:37

A week into HRT and I could sleep through the night again, no insomnia and no night time dashing off for a wee. Definitely down to hormones.
Looking back it was probably one of the earliest symptoms, just nobody had told me about it.

iroblonegen Mon 30-Nov-15 15:03:28

Thanks for all the replies! I thought I would just resurrect the thread to report that I moved over to decaff tea (not a coffee drinker) about 10 days ago and it seems to be having a positive effect, mainly in that I don't feel the urge to go to the loo so often. I sometimes still wake 2-3 times a night but I think I'll just have to put up with that for now. I just thought I'd report that having less caffeine seems to be working for me, in case that info helps anyone else.

loraflora Tue 01-Dec-15 17:56:34

I've got problems with wanting to pee regularly. I do like my caffeine but am also aware from a past and recent scan that I've got an enlarged uterus and fibroids which are probably causing more pressure on the bladder. Of course those it's possible that those symptoms are caused by some hormonal issues anyway.

anonooo Mon 07-Dec-15 13:18:41

same here - get woken up in the night needing to go to loo. Your move to caffeine free sounds good. I am really reliant on green tea those, because of all its supposed health benefits.

Whatevva Tue 08-Dec-15 10:28:38

Try more water as well. Drink two first thing, then one before each meal and one before bed. I did it after a kidney stone an suddenly I stopped waking up twice a night for the loo. I have a bit of water if I do get up too.

I never drink instant coffee at all. I was given a strong cup of a posh Colombian one once and had to sit on the loo in my trousers blush

anonooo Tue 08-Dec-15 16:42:05

more water - really?? I am terrified that if I have water last thing at night it will be even worse.

Whatevva Wed 09-Dec-15 14:01:29

Try it over a weekend or a few days where you can stay close to a loo grin You could probably forgo a bedtime water, if you drink plenty during the day.

I drink more if I go through a phase where I have to go to the loo very fast and it does help calm the bladder. It also stretches it a bit so it does not overreact.

If you have any symtoms of vaginal atrophy, you may benefit from topical oestrogen or full hrt. There are oestrogen receptors in the urethra and bladder.

PollyPerky Wed 09-Dec-15 15:30:02

anonoo
How many times do you get up at night?
Once (or twice, at a push) is considered 'normal'.

Whatevva is right in that strong and acidic urine can irritate the bladder and make you want to pee more, and conversely drinking more can calm the bladder as long as it's not irritating drinks. The best way to try to overcome this is to drink more during the day - but not caffeine or alcohol - and then nothing after about 8-9pm latest.

anonooo Wed 09-Dec-15 18:19:39

just the once for me - sometime between 4 and 6. My fear is that it will get worse with age....like my mum, up and down!

PollyPerky Wed 09-Dec-15 19:15:41

tbh, once a night is quite normal. My Dh often gets up twice or even more but he's got an enlarged prostate as do many men his age. sad

Many women do get up more but in many cases it can be helped by vaginal oestrogen which helps the bladder lining. A lot of women- maybe your mum!- don't know this and suffer for ever when there is something out there that might help. It can take up to 6 months but many women (including me) have found some improvement.

anonooo Thu 10-Dec-15 15:28:23

thanks for this. Interesting - will look into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now