Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

hot flushes and periods

(5 Posts)
coalfire Fri 13-Nov-15 01:09:56

Hi,
this may be a silly question.
assuming perimenopause as had normal periods until two months ago, then one after two weeks and since then ... nothing.
in last months waves of heat have started (not sweaty,but suddenly feel that too many bedclothes and cheeks burning).
Does anyone know if there is any pattern between flushes and periods.
I'm assuming I will get a period again, as they were regular right up until two months ago...
but if I'm flushing does that mean a period won't come?
in the same way that before a period i normally get giant painful boobs, melancholy and a swollen stomach.
or is it all random from here on in.
and i could be flushing all day and having a period...?

PollyPerky Fri 13-Nov-15 10:03:51

What I found- and other friends too- is that when you are having cycles fairly often and producing oestrogen / ovulating, flushes aren't too bad. Once oestrogen falls and ovulation doesn't happen every month, this is when flushes start. Once your oestrogen levels fall right away and you have no periods ever gain flushes can continue for many years- up to 20 for some women. My mum swears she still has them and she's 80+.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 13-Nov-15 10:12:40

With me, the hot flushes have hit after it seems my periods have stopped. I had my last period in May/June and the hot flushes have really intensified since then. Oh joy!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 13-Nov-15 10:14:41

Polly, just read your post after I posted. That makes sense then. I hope i don't have hot flushes for another 20 years though...

loraflora Fri 13-Nov-15 13:25:52

I started going through hot flushes and the occasional night sweat around a year or so ago. I was on Mirena at the time which I had been prescribed for very heavy periods, so my perimenopausal symptoms were not the same as yours. The weird thing was that this continued most evenings and this went on for several months, but they stopped again and had absolutely nothing since. No idea if they're coming back again, or whether I'm actually menopausal yet or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now