Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Vitamins for menopause?

(9 Posts)
girlguide123 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:43:30

Hello, I'm wondering if any of you take vitamins designed for menopause? If so, do you have a brand you recommend or have any other comments to add? Thanks !

EamonnHolmesisaPratt2 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:25:07

Certainly D3 for mental focus !

FastForward2 Mon 09-Nov-15 03:41:45

Menopace Night are excellent for me, they include high doses of a range of vitamins. I was advised years ago by GP to take vit b for pms and this is covered, as well as minerals which help with sleep.

(I made a mistake recently and took the Boots equivalent for a while, which were about third of the price but seemed to be totally inneffective.)

You have to take them for a few weeks before you get the full effect and carry on taking them as b vitamins are not stored by your body.

Have also recently re-started 1mg soluble vitamin c (with big glass of water to prevent recurrance of kidney stone) because I think it is natural anti histamine and helps me sleep by preventing rhinitis and stuffy nose at night.

PollyPerky Mon 09-Nov-15 09:34:01

If you have a really healthy diet you should not need vitamins. No one should unless they are on some kind of restricted diet. If you have heavy periods you might need foods high in iron but generally your food should give you what you need.

80sWaistcoat Mon 09-Nov-15 09:50:54

I know people say that, you shouldn't need vitamins, but I need B12 as I'm poor at absorbing it and I'm not great at absorbing iron either - so, now I've had the injections and the mega iron pills, I keep it topped up. I think that happens a lot to people as they get older.

And poor Vitamin D levels are a real thing too. I'm a redhead so I make Vitamin D - but lots of deficient people after a rubbish summer

Vitamin C - that I think you should probably be able to get from a decent diet and generally most other stuff too.

girlguide123 Tue 10-Nov-15 16:44:41

thanks for the input, I think I'm going to try some menopace x

FastForward2 Sat 14-Nov-15 03:51:42

I should have said 1000mg vit c not 1mg. At this level it works like antihistamine against rhinitis and helps me sleep, and is not possible to get 1000mg in diet.

I suspect that the levels of other vitamins needed, eg vitamin b, for effective treatment of menopause synptoms, are not achievable by diet alone.
I think when they say you can get enough vitamins in your diet they mean enough to prevent vitamin deficiency diseases such as rickets, scurvy etc.

In my experience the vitamin supplements help with a lifestyle which is far more hectic and stressful than nature intended for a woman of my age, and, combined with making sure I rest as much as possible, yoga and regular exercise, hopefully will stave off the need for hrt.

PollyPerky Sat 14-Nov-15 09:41:41

The actual amount of Vit C - RDA- is 75mgs. Any more than that is excreted so it is actually just pouring money down the drain. The best way to get that amount is by eating these foods which give you other nutrients and fibre:

www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=109

Not sure about the need to 'stave off HRT' as if it's something bad. Vitamins cannot possibly replace oestrogen.

lorrainescottydog Thu 26-Nov-15 15:54:20

This page tells you about vitamins and foods that are good for menopause, and it also tells you what each vitmain is good for.

www.marilynglenville.com/womens-health-issues/menopause/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now