Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

One week on femseven sequi - should I be having a period??

(5 Posts)
JustMeAnon Sun 01-Nov-15 18:27:11

I went onto femseven sequi patches just over a week ago. (It involves 2 weeks of oestrogen then 2 weeks of oestrogen and progesterone then period I believe.) I was roughly half way through my cycle when I started but GP said to just start with patch 1 (oestrogen) anyway and it would probably reset my cycle. I have been spotting for about 4 or 5 days though and have felt a bit PMT ish generally eg sore boobs, but today its looking more like a light period. Is this to be expected given it's early days? Would just like some reassurance since I don't really know what to expect etc.

Bellaciao Fri 06-Nov-15 17:33:09

The info leaflet for Femseven does say if you are not taking HRT it can be started at any time but HRT is not powerful enough to re-set your cycle especially if you are still having frequent periods. It sounds like you are having a normal period at the right time that you would have done.

It's not going to do any harm but will be a bit annoying if HRT is totally out of sync with your cycle. If your periods were hit and miss anyway then I expect it will settle down more quickly?

Tricky getting it right in peri-menopause!

WideAwakeMum Thu 12-Nov-15 15:07:54

Yes, sounds like normal and the directions mention a bit of irregular bleeding at first I think. Perhaps you could try to align your patches roughly with your cycle, that's what I did when starting these patches. Only problem then is the potential to run out of patches if you use one or to for less than a week, and they are only meant for a week each... Bleeding for me is usually in the final week of the progesterone and oestrogen, though it's not totally predictable.

By the way, if you have trouble keeping the patches on (mine kept falling off in the bath or after exercise!) you could use 'Opsite' waterproof film dressings to hold the patch on, they measure 6 x 7 cm and are thin and transparent! I buy on line and put the dressing over the patch, the dressing and patch then stay on for a week (bit whiffy thiough when I take it off!)Hope you don't mind the unsolicited tip...

JustMeAnon Fri 13-Nov-15 11:55:05

Thanks for the replies, I only just spotted them so sorry for slow reply! It turned into a proper period in the end (which was due) so as you say Bellaciao, the HRT clearly isn't strong enough to 'reset' my cycle, as assumed by the GP. So I just decided pretended I was starting the HRT then and carried on with another patch 1. So have had a longer phase on patch 1 than normal but at least now my cycle and the HRT should be a bit more in synch. Didn't fancy 2 periods a month!!

On a positive note, I am feeling much more normal these days so it appears to be helping! Hurrah!

WideAwakeMum Fri 13-Nov-15 19:27:29

That's great, glad it seems to going well for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now